Saturday, January 14, 2006

Saturday Musings

Well after reading my dreary "I wish the sun would come out" thing from yesterday I was very happy this morning to see the sun brightly shining. I awoke to an amazing world, full of love and promise.

I love my life.

Last night was "girls night out" and I was the taxi driver for a car full of girls that went and let their hair "DOWN". Of course, I wasn't there to witness it because, well, I'm just not a girl. But I did get to go pick them up and see the aftermath.

I love girls. They are soft and they are funny and they smell good. They remind me of puppies when they gather together to exercise their demons...............

I collected mine and took her home and put her to bed. It was a good night.

My daughter is away at the State High School Drama competition and I am missing her. She is on the crux of adulthood and I feel the need to minister to her heart and soul. To let her know that I understand all of the conflicting things that occur as we plan our lives and set ourselves on that path. I am firmly committed to being there for her - not too close but not to far away - so she can have the security that is so very necessary in order to grow up without all the worries that will assault her later in life.

As I look back on my life, I recognize how incredibly difficult it was to choose that path and get started. There was so much uncertainty and I believe that I didn't do it well, but I made it through. It's so very easy to take the easy way out when you are not accountable to anyone for anything. It is that very struggle that tempers our spirits and the outcome is either lots of self-confidence or regret. It's the regret thing that I am going to work so hard to hold for my daughter. She is incredibly bright and beautiful and I am so very proud of her.

Now my son. He's a peach. This week starts his "hell week" at his fraternity. Kappa Sigma. What a scream. As I plowed my way through college and the greek system if you had asked me if MY son would have ever been a Kappa Sig, well that would have been equal to telling me that he would go to Ole Miss. Never gonna happen.

That's why you should never make absolutes - because irony will be your companion all through life.

My beloved Sigma Nu has hit hard times and there was no way I would ever encourage him to follow in my footsteps. And now Kappa Sig is the biggest house on campus and the guys seem to be a very good brotherhood. And truth be told, that's what it's all about. I would love to be a fly on the wall during the no-sleep hazing stuff. My son doesn't take that well and since he's as big as a house, I would imagine he'll do well - since most of them either are or should be scared of him.

I am praying for both of them this week.

I am so blessed by my fatherhood and I am so proud of my children. It's like a constant thing inside of me - kind of like a nice song thats always right there where I can hear it.

Anyway, I'm just musing here on Saturday morning and I had better get to work so I can get on to more important things.

Tomorrow is Sunday and I plan to make a wonderful family lunch tomorrow. The big one in the old traditions. I'm frying chicken, bbq-ing chicken, corned beef, cabbage, peas, butterbeans, corn, cornbread, green beans, cornbread. Enough to feed an army for a week. But I belive that we should celebrate Sunday because it is set aside for all things sacred - and nothing is more sacred than stuffing yourself and taking a nap.

Peace be with you. God Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home