Friday, December 07, 2007

The Day That Will Live In Infamy

December 7, 1941.

Now I'm a kind of present-day philosophical sort. I don't dwell on the past and have found that if I concentrate on today, my life is much easier.

I don't have any guilt associated with past actions or inactions and I don't have the worry of tomorrow.

All in all, I've always felt lucky to be bent like that.

But there are some days, like today, that I go back to yesteryear with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat as I remember all the men and women of our greatest generation.

I won't even listen to arugments about that greatest generation stuff. They just were. The sacrifices made were amazing. Every able bodied man and lots of women signed up to go and defend our country.

And that simple act led us to be the most powerful nation in our world. Something I think we're screwing up - but that's not for this stream of consciousness.

Go here and read about how it started:
http://www.pbyma.org/images/1941-12-07/NeverForget.html

I find that the longer we get from that point in history, the less we remember it. But we had better keep it close because you never know when, or if, we'll ever be called upon to do the unthinkable.

God Bless our Veterans and if you see an old person today, please thank them.

Peace

1 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

Amen.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home