Friday, September 04, 2009

meat-mare



meat·mare (noun): A terrifying dream afflicting vegetarians in which the dreamer experiences extreme feelings of anxiety about meat.

I am somehow mysteriously feeling sorry for Robert St. John.

Can't say that this is a normal thing. I've known Robert for a long, long time and he's a great guy!

Never once can I remember one thing about him that made me say "Poor Robert".

Back in the day (read 1979) when were getting our sea legs under us and were moving along with the post high school rituals of actually having to get a job, Robert and I worked for his older brother Drew in his Landscaping Empire known as "St. Johns Landscaping Empire".......or something like that.

We sweated and planted and tractored and such, but mostly I remember us drinking lots of gatorade and eating Big Ones from Wards for our sustenance.

Plus the sweating. Did I mention the sweating? Oh God, it was hot!

Best thing to make boys study in college??? HARD WORK!

Anyway, back to Robert.....Robert had an easy going style and I honestly have never known one single person that didn't like him. But girls, oh my goodness, girls just ADORED Robert.

So the rest of us had the enviable position of absolutely, positively having to be his wing man - because the girls always talked to him first!

Then, as time moves on, we all go to college and get "real" jobs (although the summer job on the landscaping crew were the "hardest" job I ever had!)

Next thing I know, Robert moves to Destin to hang on the beach and waits tables and learns to cook, etc, etc.

So now - not only do you have a great man's man that is friends with EVERYBODY and who the ladies not only love but actually adore - now he lives at the freakin' beach and can cook too!!!

OK, so I hope I've made my point because I could go on and on about Robert, but it wouldn't do any good because everyone that knows him already knows all these things.

So back to the why I feel sorry for him.......this month......he......is......living.......as..........a.......VEGETARIAN!

He wrote in one of his recent columns that he is a confirmed carnivore - and yet here he is, in search of some misguided Holy Grail of health, abstaining from meat for an entire month!

So yes good people, for the first time in almost 50 years, I feel sorry for Robert St. John.

So if you see Robert in the coming weeks and he appears to be shaky or sweating profusely, don't worry about him - he probably just had a meat-mare!

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home