Wednesday, November 25, 2009

No Place Like Home!

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.

I guess because it has always been the one time when the family was always together.

Everyone seemed to split up at Christmas to do their own thing – but Thanksgiving is the time when we all got together, ate till we could pop and then just hang out until it was time to go home.

Since I was an only child, I think I was always happiest when I had that extended family around me. Because no matter how much shit all you “siblinged” folks give us “only child” folks about being spoiled, it was, at it’s heart, a lonely existence most of the time.

But I also think it’s why I have (and cherish) so many friends. I had to make my own family during most of the year!

So I always looked forward to the Thanksgiving time when I could soak in the family atmosphere – just like a real kid in a real family……..

Of course, the downside to all that is the longer you live, the more that changes. The old folks die, the young ones get their own youngun’s and become the old folks – and life goes on.

Well hopefully, life goes on!

But as we grow older, we form new families with new people – even people that we are related to because we “borned” ‘em. Then they have kids and so on and so forth!

And even though in our own memories are of those people that made our childhoods so wonderful are long gone (miss you Dad/Big Momma/Mamie Kate/Uncle Frank/Uncle Boots/Mammaw//Uncle Gene……..and 50 more……..) we form new family units that our children and their children will remember with fondness just as I remember those that passed before me.

So make sure that you hug your family tomorrow and when you’re giving thanks for all of your blessings, make sure that you remind yourself that the most special place is home with the family.

No matter where that family is or what you call home – that is where your roots are and where your heart should be.

And no one said it better than Dorothy:

“Oh, but anyway, Toto, we’re home…HOME. And this is my room…and you’re all here…and I’m not gonna leave here ever, ever again…because I love you all…and…
Oh, Auntie Em…there’s no place like home!

Peace, Love and Turkey!

1 Comments:

Anonymous sw said...

Don't get the big head (or bigger head) or anything, but I'm thankful that you're my friend and that my other friend let you love her. Even if you want to make me throw up most of the time.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home