Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Homecoming



I know this is a bad picture, but it's the Homecoming '79 picture of the death mobile.

Just like the one in Animal House.

Except, instead of a new Lincoln Continental, this was a 1970 Chrysler Hotel. Not really sure of the make, but it was as big as a hotel so that's what we called it.

It belonged to Jack Warfield, a golfer from Indiana and was lovingly welded on and molded into it's beastly status by dozens of drunk frat boys.

It was our entry in the homecoming parade. We were not very "traditional" so our entry in the parade was on par with our image and upheld our reputation as the actual Animal House.

I was a Sigma Nu. And we had one hell of a fraternity. We were all jocks on a campus full of all different kinds of fraternities. I wouldn't have been in any other.

We had parties that defied logic. Back when beer was "legal" and frat parties meant something we were a "tour de force" of drunken debachary.

We were also the campus leaders in grades and in the school year of 1979-80 we won 13 of the 16 intramural sports championships.

We had swagger and that little something extra that everyone either envied or was completely repulsed by.

Our fraternity house was an old house on the edge of campus. I lived in it. It smelled of beer and piss. I can still remember everyone getting up in the morning and taking a piss in the floor furnace and trying to finish before the "steam" came up and enveloped us.

Anyway, it's homecoming this weekend and all of these memories come flowing forth like water from a hose for me. I'm sure the football game against the University of Houston will be interesting - but I'm sure I'll be in the tailgate area with 50 or so "brothers" remembering the way it used to be.

And loving every minute of it.

I hope your memories are as fond as mine, but if not, remember that you can make more every day.

God Bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I dated a Sigma Nu. I don't think his chapter was as cool as yours way. Have a great time; can't wait to read about it post-homecoming.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Yea, that's why it was called a hotel, cuz it was big, mmm hmm! Sure.

Sigma Nu's didn't date Zeta Tau Alpha's.(Me) They were too cool for school in Valdosta. They dated Phi Mu and another I can't remember. I dated EVERYBODY! But mostly TKE and SigEps

7:55 PM  
Blogger DJ Andi said...

The car almost looks like the car came from the Stephen King movie "Christine", but Animal House screemed at me before I even read your blog.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home