Monday, June 16, 2008

Musings from the Bastion of Bachelorhood

Well, I'm a-survivin' as a bachelor. Mighty quiet in the house. Get to watch what I want, eat what I want, do what I want.

Almost.

Because what I want is for her to come home from her trip.........................

_______________________________________________________

Went yesterday to pick up a motorcycle from a friend of mine. It's an old Harley that I am considering buying but I wanted to borrow it for a while to see if it would suit my needs.

It wouldn't crank.

Karma? Someone trying to tell me something?

________________________________________________________

I really love our house.

It's weird to me because I guess I've never had a house that I could love. I'm not even sure that it's OK to love a house. It seems to violate all kinds of things that go against my grain.

But at the end of the day, I really, really love our house.

________________________________________________________

Father's Day was wonderful. I got to take my father-in-law out to lunch and we did the old people's thing at the Crackle Barrel (as Nicole calls it). We both had the meatloaf - which I guess says something about both of us!

He's a wonderful man and I am just crazy about him and my mother-in-law.

My kids came over last night and we cooked and had a nice visit.

The only thing missing from my father's day was, well, my father.

I still miss him terribly and I guess that never goes away. It's been 13 years and it really hasn't gotten much easier on the missing him thing.

_________________________________________________________

Did I mention that I miss my wife?

I'm supposed to be a big boy and suck it up (as Sallie and AJ and Tina always tell me) but damn it, life's too short - I miss her!

___________________________________________________________

People get married for lots of reasons. I guess I'm lucky in that I got married because I love this girl more than I love breathing. I want to spend time with her and all of that is magnified when she is gone because..................seriously, did I mention that I miss my wife?

___________________________________________________________

My wife's brother and his wife and his kid came to visit this weekend. He only comes about once a year to visit and it's good when he does. I think family is very important. I guess coming from an only child of an only child, I think siblings are wonderful and should be exploited as much as possible.

Of course, when he comes down it's always project time. This time he put a new roof and lean to on the shed out in the back yard. One of those things that I should have done but didn't/wouldn't/couldn't.

Poppie is in no shape for any of that and as bad as I don't want to admit it, neither am I. Roofing is not so good for my back which I'm really still trying to be careful with.

But I felt guilty about not doing it. And have for months now.

But at least I did buy all the stuff to do it with and all involved seemed to be very happy about my role in the deal.

I guess we all have a place.

I can't do all the stuff that I used to but now I can do other things that would have been impossible earlier in life. Like buy things!!!

Just goes to show you that God is Good!

_______________________________________________________

My grandson is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I'm sure that all grandparents feel that way. But mine really is!!! He's just a cute, good-natured baby.

It's just that his daddy is in the big house and his momma works at a gas station....................

I wonder if I can buy him?

__________________________________________________________

I love my step-children as I love my own. And that makes me very happy. I'm not sure if you have a choice in things like that. I think you probably do up to a point, but it's as natural as anything for me to love them.

________________________________________________________

I have a toothache. It hurts and my face is swollen.

_________________________________________________________

Well, this experiment in randomness is over. I hope you all enjoyed seeing into the vast expanses of my brain. This is what it's really like in my head. I routinely think of 237 things each second. I like it like that. Never boring.

May peace find you today.

That's my prayer for everyone.

And please pray that my missing wife and her mission team that is ministering to all the little Navajo children are not only a blessing to those poor people, but are truly blessed in the giving of themselves.

____________________________________________________________

Ever notice how mission and missing sound almost the same?

I miss my wife.

PEACE

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Keeping up with how your brain works is exhausting! Glad you're happy...you deserve every bit. It's even better that you recognize and embrace what makes you happy! Hang in there...Paige will be home soon. :)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey-- I know something that might cheer you up. I was taking Malissa to Camp Wesley Pines, went too far down the road--and there was WILSON'S. I immdiately thought about you. and my Daddy.
Anyway, I'm going back there Friday. Want me to pick up something for yaa??

I know it's not nearly as big as Paige coming home Sat, but something to look forward to.
What's Nicole doing? Maybe her and Amy can get together? Give me a call>see ya! Tina

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suck it up! You are a big boy. You can do it. Now, with all that said, I miss her too. Call me this week if you need any help with Nicole. You are such a great step-dad(and husband). Love Ya! AJ

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have said, on many an occasion, to suck it up, but that doesn't mean you can't and won't miss her. It's good to miss her, it makes you appreciate her more (if that's possible). It's also good to be missed. I have been praying for her and her group. -- I love your house too. -- I still miss my daddy too and always will. -- Four more days!!! love ya

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home