Monday, June 09, 2008

Rover

I was sitting in church yesterday and looked directly across the aisle from me and right there in my little church sat Karl Rove.

Yep, the hatchet man himself.

I did a double take, then a triple take. Then I punched my wife and pointed.

It's what happens when you see someone famous (or infamous depending on your views......).

It was a wonderful sermon on the reason people in power always get it wrong. Jesus pissed off all the religious leaders because he didn't do what THEYthought he was supposed to do.

And as I listened I couldn't help but think about how the man right across the aisle from me used the system so sucessfully to have the ends justify the means.

And it made me sad. Sad for so many things that probably don't matter to many people because we're all so buy living our lives that we don't worry about the things that probably matter so much more.

After the sermon, I smiled, shook his hand and didn't say a word. Which is how we all live our lives for the most part.

He is married to the sister of a friend of mine and he was in town visiting. Not stalking anyone anymore or throwing down the thunder on those from the other side. I would imagine that he will slide quietly into the pundit chair and give wisdom on observations from a life in the "trenches".

Either way, it was just sad for me to look over there and realize that you can turn that kind of stuff on or off depending on where you are or how you feel.

I spent some time looking up stuff on the web and ciphered on the Winkipeida entry on him.

You should check that out. Pretty amazing stuff.

So that was our excitment on a sleepy Sunday in small town America.

Hope yours was just as interesting!

Peace.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, email me and tell me who the friend is. I wouldn't recognize the man if he walked in and sat on my lap.

Let me know if you need any help with Coliebug while wifey poo is gone.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew that name sounded familiar-- looked him up on wik as soon as your 3rd sentence. Humm. Interesting stuff there.

How the F did you (nosy SOB) know that was who he was? When I'm in church-- I just look at whoever is "up there" in the pulpit or choir or those seats on the side.
You and AJ (bless your time) look ALL over the church -- behind you and beside you and up in the balcony to see "WHO is THERE!"
Humm maybe I need to start sitting on the back row to "see" who is there??
I love you and AJ. Yall are just so fing nosy. "smack"!! Tina

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! He knew because I TOLD HIM! Right, Keith? And I saw him legitimately as I sit on the front row and occaisionally gaze back to see who's here...because I am nosy like that.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home