Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ashes to Ashes......

Happy Lent Ya'll.

We had a very packed house at church last night for the disposition of ashes. And I'm glad because it's a service that I find very meaningful.

I find it meaningful because there is something comforting about being in community and engaging in tradition. And this time of the year, we are full of tradition and liturgy.

Since we live in the Baptist Bible Belt, it is viewed as somewhat crazy to get ashes put on your forehead in these parts but since it's been done by all Christians but Baptists for a few thousand years, I feel that sense of community.

And there is something amazingly wonderful about admitting that we need to repent. To put ourselves aside and recognize the larger Body of Christ that we belong to. I would even be OK with a Job-type display of sackcloth and ashes on the street corner instead of the mark of the cross in ashes on my forehead.

I plan to spend this Lenten season being reflective of my life and how I live it.

Generally I am pleased with the way I live my life. And I guess what I mean by that is that the principles that I hold dear are lived out on a daily basis by me. With a good sprinkling in of irreverance and humor, of course.

I think sometimes that people don't understand how I truly am because they can't quite see beyond the boisterous boy - but in my heart and in my actions is truly a man of God that is quite comfortable with my place in this world.

I am certainly happy with my place in my wife's world. I still have to pinch myself all the time to realize that I am in a relationship with the one person that I would choose to be in a relationship with if I could choose anyone in the whole wide world.

I think I have spend a good portion of my life getting to the point where I am able to live my life according to the principles that I hold dear. And like most people, I struggle with those on a daily basis. Especially the ones where I'm supposed to be graceful toward everyone.

There are some that I just can't with.

I guess it's like Flip Wilson used to say............"The Devil Made Me Do It"!!!

One of the biblical words that I love is perfection. Our translations are sprinkled with the word perfection all over it. But if you go back to the original text, you'll see, (if you study hard you lazy people) that the word perfection is actually the same word as mature.

So to love each other perfectly is much easier to comprehend as to love each other maturely. My mind can wrap itself around that so much easier. Because as I have gotten older and more "mature" (yea, I know I'm still juv-e-nile in my actions at times - but I promise I'm mature on the inside!) I have found that it is much easier for me to put aside my hopes and dreams and accept other people's instead.

I find that I not only don't have to judge them anymore - but I don't want to. And that's huge because when we're younger - we're always trying to prove a point. We NEED to convert people over to our way of thinking.

As I look back on those days, I'm not even sure why - but I know that is how it worked and I'm so happy that I'm beyond that at this point.

So I pray your Lenten journey will be good and that when Easter Sunday explodes on the scene this year, that you can be resurrected as well and begin something new.

Something that you've always dreamed of.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could give up dropping the F bomb for Lent, seeing how you're a mature man of God and all!! Love you and I love my hooch bucket. You're wife is the bomb. Don't drop that one.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have corrected my spelling/grammatical error before you posted my comment. Geez, what type of blogger are you anyway?

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home