Friday, May 08, 2009

Off To See The Wizard

Mickey Carroll, one of the last surviving "Munchkins" in the 1939 movie "The Wizard of Oz," died of natural causes on Thursday in Missouri at age 89.

Carroll, who stopped growing at a young age, was an entertainer early in life and befriended actress Judy Garland, leading to a role alongside her in classic "The Wizard of Oz."

He was a violin-playing Munchkin "Town Crier" in the movie, dressed in purple with a yellow flower in his vest. There were dozens of Munchkins in all.

In 2007, Carroll and a few other surviving Munchkins attended a ceremony to dedicate a Munchkin star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Born to Italian immigrants in 1919, Carroll's given name was Michael Finocchiaro.

And there you have it. Another mutant gone to his reward.

I think Munchkins are so cool. On the other hand, I have a step-daughter that I adore who freaks completely out whenever she sees one.

I don't understand any of that but it's true.

So I have been contemplating how I could hire one to show up at a party where she is and see what find of fun will ensue.

I'm bad like that.

I hope everyone has a great weekend - and if you don't - try harder next weekend!

Peace

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone else I know doesn't like them either.
Tina

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home