Sunday, May 30, 2010

No Soup For You!

It's been a piggy kind of holiday weekend.

Saturday night was 100lbs of crawfish with all the trimmings. I went all out on the seasoning and apparently it was a huge success. My wife kept going on and on about it.

Of course, the ironic thing is that I hate them so therefore I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one - even if it bit me in the balls.

But I will not only take the praise she heaped on me, I will also take the fact that she ate for almost 2 hours as confirmations!

Then today, as our Memorial Day cookout continued to grow in scope, I got up at 7 and got the smoker loaded up. And I do mean full!

4 boston butts and 6 racks of rib went in. The ribs came out after 4 hours and the butts stayed on for 9. After the ribs came off, I sauced them, wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven for 2 more hours. OMG they were good.

Then I got the grill cranked up. The Big Green Egg was loaded up with the old lump charcole and I let it cook for an hour before I started putting the meat on. It was 700 degrees when I put 5 lbs of cajun sausage on there to begin with.

Needless to say that I got enough fire from the hot grill with the sausage on it that it burned off all the cobwebs I had in the corners of the garage!

Then I threw on some pork tenderloin with a pepper crust and glazed it with an oriental orange/ginger sauce and wow - was that good. On a grill that hot, I got it medium rare in literally 2 minutes!

After that, it was time for the chicken wings and legs. I had cooked them in the oven for an hour so they were already done, I just sauced and crusted them on the grill. Did 5 turns on them and when I pulled them off, that homemade bbq sauce had formed a huge coating that was stuck on the bird. That was my favorite part of the meat extravaganza....I loves me some yardbird!

Of course, we had all the trimmings as well. I did some slow cooked baked beans. 4 hours of magic happens when you take the time to make the beans happy.

We also did some oriental crispy slaw which was delish. It's the slaw with the crushed up ramen noodles in it. It was truly the shiznitz. Furshizzle it was!

And then it was the ubiquitous tater salad. I chose to do a German variety. Made a great sauce with vinegar, sugar, celery, onions and creole mustard. PLUS a whole pound of bacon, boiled eggs and, oh - I've got to stop because I'm getting hungry all over again........and I'm still stuffed!

But for me, it truly was about the family coming over. I don't have much family anymore so truly, my wife's family is it for me. And I love cooking for family during holidays. It was so good to have people in the house that are connected in such a deep way. Of course, we only invited the ones we liked so that left many of them out. At least they'll never know what they missed!

I love my wife so much......so much......and by virtue of that, I love her family too. Some are a bit crazy, but don't we all have that in our own families!

So as we cruise into the actual Memorial Day tomorrow, I pray that everyone will stop and remember all of the brave folks that have done so much to keep our way of life available to each of us.

God Bless the United States of American.......and no one else!

OK, I stole that from Chris Rock movie where he was elected president.....

So sue me.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home