Monday, January 23, 2006

The Big Easy

I am missing New Orleans.

Sometimes we take things for granted that are so convenient for us. I guess life is always like that. But take it away and somehow it gains a bigger part of your soul and the longing for what was is so thick you can just reach out and feel it.

Yea, I miss New Orleans. I miss going down several nights per month and having a great dinner. I miss going to the House of Blues and seeing concerts - although they are coming back, slowly but surely. I miss riding my motorcycle in the French Quarter and watching the people in thier bermuda shorts and socks with sandals looking at maps while the local con artists size them up..........

But maybe all of that will come back.

I was there on New Years Day to visit a friend of mine who has a condo in the French Quarter. He got very mininal damage and everything seemed to be working fine in the tourist areas. But it felt "empty".

The French Quarter is not the real New Orleans for me. It's City Park and Midtown. It's the Lake and the Garden District. It's all of the places that no one from Kansas City has any idea about. Those are the places that I worry about. The very thing that gave New Orleans it's flavor.

Which brings me to the comments by Mayor Negin the other day. New Orleans will be a chocolate city at the end of the day.

Oh, what a stick to stir at this point in history.

Yes, New Orleans has always been a chocolate flavored city. But it is so much more. It is the quintessential melting pot. The gumbo that was New Orleans was created out of a caste system that has been abolished for years.

And now all have fled and who will come back? It is apparent that the Mayor is trying to marshall the troops and give them hope. Please come back and help us take over this place that is rightfully ours is what I heard him say.

But that may not be realistic. My common sense tells me that people with money to venture on a chance will be the ones to try to rebuild New Orleans which will leave out those very people the Mayor was speaking to.

I don't know what is right or what is wrong - all I know is that I want it back. And for now, I'm not even sure what "it" is.

God Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home