Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Sunday

Yesterday was the Super Bowl.

It may be the most interesting cultural bonding event that we collectively share on an annual basis. I think it's bigger than Christmas.

As I look back over my lifetime of 40 Super Bowls I find that my actions clearly follow life's path.

As a child, I would watch a little of the games as my parents and their friends hooted and hollered, drank highballs, and ate the food that only came out on special occassions. Then I would go out and play with my friends.

As I got into my teen years, I would congregate with my other like-minded friends and we would get sloshed on Pabst Blue Ribbon and watch the Steelers somehow beat the Cowboys yet again.

As a young man, I would stay at the fraternity house and drain kegs of beer while observing the ritual.

As an young adult I would go to fabulous parties where many, many people would come to worship at the trough of excess.

Then came the time that no one wanted to host that party anymore and we ended up at a crowded bar with, what seemed like, thousands of others.

This year, I stayed home. I watched the game with my lady and my son and his girlfriend. While sitting in a crowded, oversized chair with the most beautiful girl I have ever known, I found myself thinking back to all the gymnastics that I used to do in order to find fun or to cash in on my part of the American Dream.

And somehow, I just understood that this year, well this year it was as it should have been all along.

Thanks Paige. Thank you for continually reminding me of everything that is good in my world.

I am a very happy man.

And on a side note: How strange is it that an avowed Steeler-Hater actually pulled for them this year? I guess time does heal all wounds.............

I hope your Super Sunday was as satisfying as mine was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home