Saturday, January 28, 2006

Such A Night

I went to a birthday party last night. It was the 60th celebration for my love's boss. It was a great party.

I went with my lady who absolutely shined. She lit up the room at our arrival and for the next few hours was the brightest star in the universe. She was so very beautiful. I swear that sometimes I have to pinch myself when I realize that the woman I am with is so very beautiful and smart and funny and kind.

Sometimes I think she worries about me at these functions because of her predisposition to be in the middle of the action. She doesn't like to be pressed. She doesn't need someone to guide her or direct her or hover around her. She is her own star and she certainly needs no lampshade to cover her.

And I will never be that. I don't think I have any lampshade in me at all.

If she only knew how wonderful it was for me just to watch her interact with others and do her thing. If she only knew how proud I was to be with her as she flittered here and there - always being the funniest person in the room.

I always feel as if people look at me and wonder what in the world I have done to deserve to be with someone that wonderful.

I am very content. And I truly don't know that many people that can honestly say that. She has given me the gift of allowing me just to be me. I don't have to be larger than life, I don't have to be anything anymore because I am perfectly happy to just be with her.

I think of that often. She truly has no idea of how wonderful that is for me and how much pressure that takes off of me. The funny part of it for me is that she is so very serious in the grace that she constantly gives me.

She constantly gives me praise for not doing all of those things I mentioned above as if I am somehow fighting the urge to be smothering in my attention of her.

I'm not fighting anything. For the first time in my life I'm just as happy as I can be - and for me, well for me, that is the very definition of peace.

The band was great - the dancing was hot - the smoking porch was crowded - I saw tons of friends and got to visit. But you know what the most amazing thing was? When it was all over and it was time to go, I was the one that got to take her home.

And for a simple boy, there ain't nothin' better than that.

So I hope your evening was as amazing as mine. I think I'll just bask in this glow for a little while longer and then get started on my weekend.

God Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home