Tuesday, January 31, 2006

And The Oscar Goes To

I was just reading about all the Academy Award Nominations. For some reason I have been watching all these award shows this year.

And before you think I have become gay like Eddie, I truly believe it is because there is NOTHING on television these days to hold my attention.

So anyway, I was reading who got nominated for what and I saw that Brokeback Mountain did quite well in the nominations - 8 of 'em.

Which brings me back to the previous Sunday when I was invited to go to the movies with two beautiful women who were going to see THAT movie.

Nope, not me, no way, not gonna happen.

Now you have to know that I love going to the theater. I go see so many movies and some are great and some are stupid but I have always believed that seeing a movie and buying into some director's vision of what he was doing was a great way for us to reach out with our "artistic" sides and to experience life just a little differently.

And I still believe that.

But I just could not go see the gay cowboy flick. Just can't do it.

I don't think I'm homophobic. I mean, I LOVE LESBIANS!!! Oh yea. But there's just something about the notion of snuggling up against someone as hairy as me that just turns the switch off so far that I'm afraid that it won't ever come back on.

Anyway, I stayed home and watched Forest Gump. Great flick. So I anxiously awaited the arrival of the movie goers. Finally here they came. Hooting and Hollering (as my grandma used to say).

The worst movie I've ever seen, said one. Simply horrible chimed in the other one.

I was prepared for either reaction - but I must say that I felt simply justified in this reply. Never will you hear an "I told you so" from these lips but I'm sure I was smirking somehow.

The funny part was them arguing about just HOW bad it was but my favorite part was the stories of the various segments of our socitety that had chosen that screening to come to the theater.

The best story was about the man, when confronted by the "pup tent scene" (where one cowboy gave the other the "shaft" in a vigorous motion) simply got up and raced out of the theater - with his wife/girlfriend having to run behind him to catch up. We wondered if he thought it was just another western - boy, that would have been a big surprise.

Anyway, I won't be renting it either - not even if it wins all 8 Oscar statues.

But enough on that - on Saturday night I was convinced to watch Crash. Wow, if you haven't seen that one I would highly recommend it. It was eerie in it's approach to the way prejudice effects all of us and it's presentation was haunting.

I really wasn't in the mood for it so I didn't give it my full attention but upon further reflection, I will see it again. But only when I am in the mood for it.

So happy movie watching to all of you and please send me your suggestions of what I should go see next.

Chest Bump, Chest Bump, Kiss My Fist, Peace - Out...........

2 Comments:

Blogger Rookie Mama said...

Winnie the Pooh is one of my favs right now. Check it out. Full of life lessons, irony, symbolism, etc.

Besides, it keeps the natives happy.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

I have to agree. Once you describe a movie as a "gay cowboy flick", I am absolutely certain that I do not want to watch it. And the same can be said of a "gay fill-in-the-blank movie". Pardon the pun.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home