Monday, March 20, 2006

Alive And Well And Living In Paradise

How do we define ourselves?

There are so many variables that it's really not a fair question. I guess the best way to approach this is to say how we we WANT to define ourselves and then set about figuring out how to do that.

I am a man, a boss, a father, a lover, a believer, an umpire, a philosopher, a chef, a laborer, a tone-deaf musician, a historian, a swimmer (ex), a friend, a mentor, a leader, a follower.

This list could go on forever.

So how do I see myself?

Wow, that has changed over the years. I guess the best place to start is to say that it's been quite a long time since I have tried to control my circumstances so the outcome would be in my favor.

I used to factor in all of the variables to a problem and then go about implimenting the procedures to make sure that I had the best chance of the outcome I wanted. How much creative output was needed to force events into my template? Lots.

Now I try to take it as it comes and deal with it like that. And you can't imagine how much pressure that takes off of a boy by doing that.

I find that in my private life I am safe and secure in the knowledge that I love and am loved. And if you really think about it, isn't that just the most important thing? What other deep yearings are more important that that? None.

To be at a place in your life where your basic emotional needs are met simply by being who you are is amazing and I choose to celebrate that fact as often as I can. I rejoice in the fact that no matter what else is going on in my life, I can always walk in the door and be completely accepted for who I am and be at peace.

So with that said, I guess it doesn't matter how I define myself anymore. So today I am completely satisfied with where I am - knowing that where I have been is in the past and what I have to look forward to is in the future - so for today, I am just me - and that's good enough for this boy.

I pray this for you too.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home