Thursday, March 16, 2006

What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been

I've had an amazing week.

Like I said, a boy could get used to this!

But it got me thinking about the nature of happiness. What is it that brings us happiness? Is it who we are, or what we are doing, or how we are feeling?

So many variables..............

As I look back on the first half of my life, it's hard to put my finger on happiness because we are so busy with all of the things that we think we need to do in order to fit into society. It seems that happiness is not really a byproduct of where we are or what we are doing.

I guess, as human beings, we are all guilty of coveting our neighbors __________ (you fill in the blank). We have a remarkable ability to project ourselves on to the imprint of others as we see them. How many times have we said to ourselves "if only I could be where so and so is, then I would be happy". Or maybe, "if I was as successful as him, then I could have the time and energy to do all of those things I want to do".

But the truth is that happiness is elusive and if you ever find the key to what makes you happy you had better hang on with your arms and legs wrapped firmly around that thing that makes you happy. My experience tells me that happiness is not a destination but a way of looking at things that somehow has the ability to sacrifice self to a greater good.

I have come to the place in my life where happiness is truly abundant and I find that I can't wait to get out of bed and see what today brings.

So today, I pray for you to not only find, but to recognize the simple things in life that bring you joy so that you too can look forward to what life throws your way.

Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home