Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Boss

I was listening to some Bruce Springsteen this morning. Not the cheesy 1984 stuff, but the Dylanesque stuff of his early albums, the ones before Born to Run, the ones that nobody bought that almost cost him his recording contract. And I still stand amazed at his brilliance.

I, like most, discovered Bruce in 1975 with the release of Born to Run – but like all good musicologists, I dug deeper and got all the ones before that. His initial album, Greeting from Asbury Park was the most amazing debut album until Nirvana came out decades later - at least it was for my money.

So, I am challenging my fellow musicologist to dig this one out and see what they think. My favorite song is Lost in the Flood but the most amazing one, lyrically, is Growin’ up. It harkens back to early Dylan in its imagery and clever turns of a phrase.

So here’s the lyrics to that one for you to chew on:

I stood stone-like at midnight, suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strolled all alone through the fallout zone and came out with my soul untouched
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said, “sit down” – I stood up
Ooooohhhhh Growin’ up

The flag of piracy flew from my mast, my sails were set wing to wing
I had a jukebox graduate for my first mate, she couldn’t sail but she sure could sing
I pushed B-52 and bombed ‘em with the blues with my gear set stubborn on standing
I broke all the rules, strafed my old high school and never once gave thought to landing
I hit id the clouded warmth of the crown but when they said, “come down” – I threw up
Ooooohhhhh Growin’ up

I took month long vacations in the stratosphere, you know it’s really hard to hold your breath
I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared, I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress
Well my feet they finally took root in the earth but I got me a nice little place in the stars
I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car
I hid in the mothered breast of the crowd but when they said, “pull up” – I pulled down
Oooooohhhhhh Growin’ up

1 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Ooo-that brings back memories of a pirate boyfriend and all night parties in 1975. No one had heard of Bruce then, he was underground!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home