Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend Warrior

It was a great weekend. Homecoming and the State Fair!!! Now what more could a boy want in life!!!

I behaved Friday night. Had plans to go out with the frat brothers for a night of debauchery but the baby-sitter I thought we had was just a figment of my imagination.

And that’s OK because I will be wherever my beloved is and be much happier there – wherever that is. And it was at home on this night.

Saturday cranked up early with a short meeting at the frat house. Then it was the beginning of the alcoholization of the day. The game wasn’t until 6pm so we had all kinds of time to visit with folks and to see and be seen.

It was wonderful. Saw some people I hadn’t seen if a while and on the flip side of that, saw several that I never wanted to see again. Oh well, you take the good with the bad.

Ate wonderful food and drank copious amounts of rum punch that I had concocted.

We didn’t make it into the game, but who cares about football anyway!!! We did win the game (which I really didn’t think we would – but hey, it was HOMECOMING). The score was 31 to 27 over the University of Houston. Ask me next week and I will have forgotten that by then.

I remember how I used to live and die by football. How my stomach would hurt as we were engaged in a tight game……….I look back at that and wonder why in the hell I ever cared? Oh well, I guess maturity has its ups and downs. But it’s a lot less complicated when you don’t give a shit.

I wish I had some pictures to share – but I forgot my camera. I do that a lot these days. I guess having spent most of my life with camera equipment strapped around my neck has somehow scarred me - and I “forget” it a lot these days!

But anyway, it was a very nice day. I love my girl and I love sharing her with my old friends because she’s more than delightful – she’s perfect.

So we got up Sunday and I had a headache. Don’t hardly ever get those but I did ingest plenty of liquor, so I cut myself some slack. Took a handful of motrin and went on about my business. Went to get my mom some lunch and then went home to gather the troops for the 100 mile journey to the State Fair.

Haven’t been to the State Fair for at least 15 years and for some reason I just wanted to go and have some corn dogs, taffy and cotton candy.

And boy did I!!

Rode some rides, looked at some crazy people and then got so irritated at the crowds that it was time to bail.

I had really wanted to ride my motorcycle up there and had full intentions of just that but when I went to start her up, she wouldn’t budge. Battery was D-E-A-D. Which made me feel really stupid. So six of us piled into my car for a fun-filled trip.

Anyway, it was a good weekend and I’m very blessed. And I hope you are too. And if you’re not feeling it today, just start over and choose to bless yourself. That comes in handy on bad days!!!

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

I always liked going to the Texas State Fair in Abliene

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home