Monday, May 19, 2008

I Survived

Well, the birthday "week" is over and all the graduation stuff is over and all the seemingly thousands of things we had to do this weekend went off without a problem in the world and I'm so, so happy to get back to normal.

Whatever normal means!

The birthday was a quiet day. It was kind of the middle day between graduation and the graduation party and we needed to conserve our strength.

Next year we will make it to New Orleans and get away for the birthday celebration.

The beautiful graduate got a new car for graduation - a bright shiny new Honda Civic. I can't wait to see how long it stays clean!!! I think 4 days was the max bet I heard.

We had crawfish and other assorted goodies yesterday afternoon and the party went on until at least midnight. At least, that was when I finally gave in and went to bed. I'm fairly sure that a good time was had by all.

I'm very proud of my graduate. She did a great job in high school and I'm sure that she will continue that path in college. It's always a joy to see how these youngsters grow and mature and it's quite satisfying to have a hand in that as well. The influence we have on our children sometimes seems to be nothing as we look at it during the process. But so much of it sticks and will come back later to their betterment.

I always am sensitive to the fact that growing up is the hardest thing any of us ever do. To finally realize that we have a choice in who we will be and how we will act. It's frightening and exhilarating at the same time. I love free will.

I love that we may feel one way on the inside and want to yell at someone or "prove" our point, but as adults, we can choose to keep that inside and do the right thing. And that is the part that is so hard for the young ones to do. It just seems to fly out of their mouth before their brains and hearts have time to filter it.

So all is well. I love my wife and family and it's a brand new day full of brand new promises.

May we all be so fortuante as to grasp the important things and never lose sight of what really matters in life.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home