Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Redux


The idea of giving thanks originated with our very first president, George Washington and incubated throughout the years until 1863 when another president, Mr. Abraham Lincoln, formally decreed that the last Thursday in November shall be set aside for the purpose of being thankful.


In his most eloquent remarks he stated,


“The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come…...........


The Population has steadily increased, and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God…........


It has seemed to me, fit and proper, that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People.


I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens…and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union.”


I find the remarks of Abraham Lincoln, (who wrote all of his own material!) to be amazing and inspirational and quite frankly, just enlightened beyond his mortal circumstances.


I also find that in the last paragraph, there is an eternal truth that we so often overlook in our lives. I'll let you figure out what in that last paragraph is so amazing to me and ask that you let me know what you think.


My wife calls me idealistic and says my head is in the clouds. But I am daily reminded from time to time that life doesn't operate the way I think it does. But I do firmly believe in the unseen things that make our lives so rich and colorful and I truly do give thanks for so many of the blessings of life that I enjoy.


And I pray that others can find what I have known for a long time.


For the path to happiness involves letting go of lots of stuff that we think we hold dear and a big dose of realizing that we don't have to be right. It involves a firm belief that we can take what is presented to us and make something wonderful from it, no matter where it comes from or what form it takes. We must let go of control in order to enjoy the randomness of life - because if we don't, we will be driven to distraction by things interupting our schedules and plans.


So on this Thanksgiving, while you are obsessing about all the relatives and in-laws that are intruding into your lives, just take a moment (and a deep breath) and enjoy the chaos that will inevitably be swirling around you.


May you and yours have a very thankful Thanksgiving.


And love everyone.


And believe in peace.


And know that there is a God and that you are loved.


And that I love you.


Peace!


1 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

I wonder what would happen if speech writers today were banned and everyone had to write their own words? Happy Thanksgiving!!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home