Thursday, March 12, 2009

Diamonds are not Forever...........


For those of you that know me, there is one irrevocable truth about my life that is without question and not even open to the most liberal of interpretations.

And that truth is that I love my wife beyond whatever you may think is reasonable.

I love her beyond space and time.

I love her on every plane of existence there is.

I love her so very, very much and whatever problems life may throw at me - well, I'm just not to worried about 'em because at the end of the day I have her to go home to after the problems come.

But yesterday around 10am when she called me with tears and frustration in her voice and informed me that her "big honkin' diamond" had fallen out of the setting, I didn't quite know what to say.

I could tell she was very, VERY upset about it. But all I could say was something contrite like, "don't worry baby, I'm sure we'll find it".

Guess what?

That's right - we didn't find it. The boys in her office tore it apart. Looked in all the filing cabinets she had been digging in. Looked in her car and all along her path with flashlights. Even took the sink apart in the bathroom in case it had gone down the drain.

And no diamond.

It was a pretty diamond. About 2 carots. You know, the old two month salary guideline diamond. But it really was just a stone.

And I gave it to her.

And I wasn't upset about it.

I mean, I obviously wished she hadn't lost it - but she didn't mean to. It wasn't like she threw it at me in anger and it went down my throat. It was just an accident. And there can never be any condemnation of anything like that. Not ever. Not for any reason.

So I was left just to commiserate with her. To help her feel her loss.

And that was nice. I felt connected and engaged.

And in the end, what else really matters?

It's like I have always said concerning my relationship with her, it really doesn't matter what happens as long as I can be with her then I'll be happy.

Even if it is looking on our hands and knees for a diamond that didn't last forever.

At least my love for her will.

Amen.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home