Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day, Dogs and Assholes

Labor Day.

Cool.

Have you ever wondered why they don’t call it No-Labor Day?

I took off a long weekend for the first time in a long, long time – maybe since Easter – and it was great!

Did a whole lot of nothing and loved every slothful moment of it.

Had a wonderful time with my girl. There’s not much better than just hanging around with nothing to do and just absorb whatever comes your way.

Then on Saturday, they called me from the farm and told me that my dog has come up and there was something sticking out of her leg and she couldn’t use it.

So I hopped in the car and went to see what was what.

My dog is a black lab that roams far and wide. Lots of swimming in the creek and chasing rabbits and what ever else that goes on in the woods that us humans aren’t privy to.

So when I got there and checked on her, there was something sticking out from her left hip that looked like some kind of metal thing, and for the life of me, I had no idea what it was. So I did the thing I know to do and took some pliers and tried to pull it out.

It was stuck. Stuck hard. She didn’t much like me pulling on it either!

It was apparent that she was hurting bad but she was taking it like a dog and the suffering was showing in her eyes. I wish we could be so brave but alas, we’re just humans.

I took her to the emergency vet and we got her in and did an x-ray on it to see what it was.

Yep, it was a bullet. A damn bullet in my dog………….

Now my dog is a nice dog. She doesn’t bark. She doesn’t get into stuff. She doesn’t run up on strange places and get in the way. Someone took aim and shot her out of pure meanness.

The bullet went in the back of her leg, which means that she was running away as she was shot, and it went through her knee joint which is what made the bullet look so unrecognizable and it was also why it was stuck so hard – it was still in the bone.

So a nice doctor did surgery on her late Saturday night and I went and got her after church on Sunday.

She is doing well. We still don’t know if the ligament damage in the knee will render the leg usable or not, but we’re hopeful.

In the meantime, she gets to stay inside in the air conditioning being pampered because that’s all I know to do. Dogs being sick are like babies – they just make you feel so helpless.

I wish she could tell me who shot her. It was a 9mm bullet so I know it was a handgun.

And I do have faith that there is a special place in the afterlife for people who are mean to animals – but in the here and now I’m going to do a little investigative work and see what I can come up with.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

I hate people like that! I know hate is a strong word, but if anyone ever hurt my 2 babies I would be hunting for bear.

I know your baby is getting all kinds of lovies.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

I. AM. SO. ANGRY. How could someone do that to a dog, especially a black Lab, which everyone knows is a kind breed? As I started reading, I thought "well, maybe someone was hunting and missed the target." But a handgun? Evil son of a bitch, if you don't mind my French. I hope you find the jerk; get Grissom on the case.

And I'm praying for your dog.

10:37 AM  
Blogger haahnster said...

Sorry to be so late to comment. Hectic work projects have been minimizing my blog time. This is one of the most horrifying things I've read about in a long time. Makes me sick and angry at the same time. Best wishes for your dog...

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home