Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Heroes

David Bowie is odd. A very odd, androgynous man. And his career is just as odd.

Not to insinuate that odd is bad, it’s just odd.

I had the pleasure of seeing him last year and the show was amazing. He entertained me with his deep repertoire and his showmanship. Not too bad for a guy that is 143 years old.

One of my favorite Bowie stories is the one where he did the Christmas special with Bing Crosby way back in the day. They did “The Little Drummer Boy” on national T.V. When it was over, the story goes, that Bing asked someone who the hell that guy was and why was he singing with me?

I had the pleasure of sitting in first class with him on a flight from Atlanta to San Juan a few years back. I would like to say that we had an amazing conversation about all kinds of interesting stuff. But we didn’t. He just sat there pretending to be alone. Just another brush with fame for me. But then, I’m not one that goes seeking that stuff.

So today I have chosen one of my favorite Bowie songs as the Lyric of the Day.

The song is “Heroes” and it is one of the thin, white duke’s best – as far as I am concerned at least.

Like most rockers, my exposure (for the most part) was the Ziggy Stardust thing. A true glam/rock classic – but a quick review of his “greatest hits” shows that he has had many wonderful successes in the business over a very long period of time.

But I just love this song.

Check it out…………………

I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can beat them, just for one day
We can be heroes, just for one day

And you, you can be mean
And I, I’ll drink all the time
Because we’re lovers, and that is a fact
Yes, we’re lovers, and that is that

Though nothing, will keep us together
We could steal time
Just for one day
We could be heroes
Just for one day

I, I wish I could swim
Like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim
Though nothing
Nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, for ever and ever
We can be heroes
Just for one day

I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be heroes, just for one day
We can be us, just for one day

I, I can remember
Standing, by the wall
And the guns shot above our heads
And we kissed
As though nothing could fall
And the shame was on the other side
Oh we can beat them, for ever and ever
Then we could be heroes
Just for one day

We can be heroes
We can be heroes
We can be heroes
Just for one day

We’re nothing, and nothing will help us
Maybe we’re lying
Then you better not stay
But we could be safer
Just for one day

Just for one day

Now, I’m not really sure what this song is about – I just like it. And isn’t that what music is all about.

I’m hoping that your day is going well and that if you don’t have a hero, that maybe you can find one tonight!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:42 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I don't get the song either. Like you, there are some songs I like a lot that don't make any sense to me. There are others that suddenly revealed themselves to me after years of being just songs. You got to love that.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home