Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter is for Eating

Easter is a wonderful time for me. I'm a very spiritual person and Easter can put you on overload for that kind of stuff.

Looking out over the congregation on Easter from behind a microphone with a kick ass band behind you is quite a trip. You see all the familair faces, you see some people you haven't seen in years as they came "home" for Easter.

And then you see those twice a year people (Christmas and Easter ONLY).

But it's quite moving to see that many people in one place for one purpose.

Very cool.

But over and above the spiritual things - there is the food!

Friday night, my love's brother came in from Nashville and I cooked a wonderful pot full of psketti and meatballs with some cheesebread loaded up with garlic and other wonderful attachments.

Didn't eat too much that night.

Went to my love's family reunion they have each year at Easter on Saturday. 50+ people there and I ate more food than a human deserves to eat. I think it was 10 (ten) deviled eggs. And that was just to start!

I'm not usually a big eater and I truly know that I ate 3 plate fulls of food.

Then Sunday after church I went up to the farm for my family's feast and ate more.

Then Sunday afternoon, went to the preacher's house for a birthday celebration for his wife and cooked on the grill for an hour or so and enjoyed chicken, hamburgers and hotdogs (especially the hotdogs!).

So by the time we got home last night, not only was my heart full of hope and love, my stomach was overflowing with the riches of our excessive American lifestyles!!!

And I loved every minute of it.

Unfortuantely, it was all tempered by my mother now being in a nursing home. That is quite frankly, the most depressing thing I have ever experienced. The fact that she begs me not to leave when I get ready to go doesn't help much.

I'm sure I'll get used to this as we get used to everything in life - but if I didn't have a girl that loved me and did so much for me, I don't think I could survive this.

So thanks love - and keep it coming. I need you. And I NEVER say things like that because I'm Mr. Self-Reliant. But Oh God, I need you.

So I hope everyone got something out of Easter - even if it was just some chocolate!!

Peace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yummy food! I know it was good food if you're praising it.:)

It really sucks about your mom going into a nursing home. I just hate it for you and for her. I know you are a fabulous son and take really good care of her. Please, as Anne Lamott says, be gentle with yourself.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home