Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Crazy

I've done pretty well this year. No major breakdowns with the throngs of people greedily snatching up all the Christmas loot.

I'm feeling pretty darned jolly. Kind of like Ole St. Nick, I suppose.

I'm very, very happy with my life.

I'm in love with a girl I don't deserve. Even convinced her to marry me!!! All in all, it's been a whale of a year.

And now as we try to cram all we need to do in the Christmas season into the last few days, I'm left pondering our Christmas celebration.

We all crave tradition - although we seem to do different things each year - probably in search of a tradition. Which I can't identify.

Which got me thinking about it all.

I know, I know, that's what I do! I think. I think I am. Therefore I am. I think.......

Is there a traditional Christmas dinner?

There is for Thanksgiving - It's the turkey, stupid! But we don't want turkey again the very next month, do we?

No, we want the traditional Christmas feast.

Problem is, there's not one. At least not one that I can think of.

I like to do some nice expensive beef for Christmas. A prime rib or a standing rib roast. About a hundred bucks makes me feel all Jolly and Christmasy.

So in an informal survey, let me know what it is that you like to eat on Christmas. Maybe we can nail down a tradition after all.

Hell, for all I know, there may be one and no one had let me in on it!

But on from there.........................

Still pondering Christmas.

"Oh bring me some figgy pudding, oh bring me some figgy pudding, OH BRING ME SOME FIGGY PUDDING AND BRING IT RIGHT HERE.

What the hell?????

What is figgy pudding and why would I ever want some so badly that you need to bring it to me?

"In the meadow we can build a snowman - then pretend that he is Parson Brown" - He'll say, "Are you married"? We'll say, "No Man" - "But you can do the job when you're in town".

OH MY GOD! What does this mean????

Seriously, this is very disturbing. It makes no sense and we just sing it all the time!

And what about the Grinch? You know, the one who stole Christmas. He descends on Whoville and makes off with the roast beast.

What kind of roast beast?

Turkey, Cow, Buffalo, Deer, Elk, Chicken, Pheasant, Ostrich, Warthog, Caribou..............

Seriously, what kind of beast???

Anyway, no matter how comfortable I am in my life - I obviously still have some issues with Christmas so I'll be spending the better part of this coming week trying to work those out.

I'll take all the help I can get.

Peace

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family also enjoys ham, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, dumplin's, butter beans, corn, salad, and anything else we can talk someone into bringing. I don't think that the focus is so much on the meal, as it is the time together with family, and of course the presents. My favorite thing though, is after everyone has ate, and the dishes are clean, we all gather around and listen to my father read the Christmas story out of the Bible. But what the hell, make your own traditions. Merry Christmas! AJ

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think too much.
Tina

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our traditional Christmas dinner was the same as our Thanksgiving dinner. But for several years I've wanted to have something different. Carol made her traditional Christmas Eve dinner for Christmas one year and it was great. I would tell you want it is, but I can't spell it. It's G??? and Grits.

Make your own traditions now. Have a wonderful first, married to the love of your live, Christmas!! Love ya.

10:08 AM  
Blogger KK said...

Sallie,

That's Griaddes and Grits - and happens to be one of my favorite all time meals.

You can get it at Copelands on the Sunday Brunch menu if you can drag yourself down the street to get there after church.

They'll even serve you mimosa's with it!!!

10:14 AM  
Blogger KK said...

Of course, it's spelled Grillades - but I just wanted to see if you could wrap your mind around "hooked on fonex"!!!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother's Christmas Dinner, the main meal was goose. Ya know, she's from Germany. Never had it, b/c she never could find goose in Yazoo City, MS. I wonder if I could find one, would she fix it?? Humm.??

Always on Christmas, we have Gotel's Nut Cake. Another German delicacy. I remember grinding and grinding the hazelnuts to make the flour to go into the cake. I have the recipe-- need to see if I can do it???? Exquisite. Tina

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Traditionally we have Gumbo on Christmas. I love traditions! But this year the motherly unit is on the picket line. This year -it's a hodge podge - turkey breast, ham (which I WILL NOT eat after listening to Joel Osteen) - potato salad, broccoli and rice casserole and other stuff. Plus I am making my famous Lemon Icebox Pie - in honor of my Dad - it was his favorite.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home