Monday, August 18, 2008

Amazing!


This boy, um, man is simply amazing. I don't know what NBC would have done without him. I'm not sure what they're going to do with the rest of the Olympics now that he is finished either!
But I hope we all recognize the historical significance of this event. At the time of Mark Spitz' run, I was fairly sure that he would never be surpassed but then again, I know that every once in a while someone comes along that amazes and confounds us.
And Michael Phelps is that man.
I would love to see a resurgence in swimming and see thousands of kids flock to the pool but I also lived that life and know that there are very few of us that are hard-headed enough to go through what is necessary to reach the upper levels.
But it surely was fun watching it.
I still have absolutely no idea how in the world he won the 100 fly except to say that the Hand of God was on him. That brings up all kinds of uncomfortable religious notions for me but I truly have no other explanation for it. He was beat. He was beat good and somehow touched the wall before the other guy.
Wow.
Like I said, simply amazing.
Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Do you miss it?

I'm enamored with Michael Phelps' mother. I think she's awesome.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home