Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Food For Thought


Took yesterday off to fulfill one of my missions in life.
We are all slaves to our talents and one of mine is that I cook. I cook a lot. I cook pretty darned good. But most importantly, I normally say YES to cooking...............
So yesterday was the day that my church choose to have a "welcome back to school" luncheon for the neighborhood elementary school teachers.
And I said YES, again, so I cooked.
Now we're not talking about complicated fare here. Hamburgers, beans, tater salad - just good ole country feed lots of people food.
And it went well.
Everyone ate their fill and they were happy that our church did it for them. I was happy because it made me feel good about being able to do things for others.
All in all, it was a good day and I was blessed for doing it.
But more importantly, and as a part of the bigger picture, I am really proud of my church for doing all this. This inner city school does not have all the bells and whistles that us more fortuate folks get to enjoy with our kids. The education money, like most other government stuff is way down. I'm not sure if the PTA is very active here since we're talking about poor folks and lots of single parents - but it has to be a blessing to have an outside agency take such as strong hand in providing things.
Take for example, the teacher's lounge. Some people from our church went over and completely redid the entire thing. New paint, fixtures, flooring, furniture, art work for the walls......you name it, and it's new.
And from the reactions of the teachers you would have thought they had just won the lottery.
So yea for us for doing the right thing. Or at least, taking steps in the right direction.
So many of our churches are so "self-serving" and the outreach is limited to those things that are comfortable. Well life is not always comfortable and we are called to go out and participate in all kinds of things.
But then again, I'm just the cook.
Peace

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

The food was FABULOUS! And the potato salad? AWESOME! Thank you so much! :)

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home