Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Harley Freakin' Davidson

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

After many comments on my biking status I am officially announcing the birthing process of a new motorcycle.

In the past few years, I can honestly say that several of my dreams came true.

The first and foremost of those is the procurement of my wife!!! It sits well with a boy when he's got the girl he dreamed about in the same bed with him each night.

The other thing was my Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle Road Glide. A factory custom that was so shiny in the sun that people would stop what they were doing and just stare. A bike so rare that of the millions of motorcycles that Harley makes - they only made 500 just like that one.

And of course, most of you know the sad story that followed - that my son-in-law, yea, the one that knocked up my daughter and is now in prison, well, he totalled it for me.

In the intervening time, we (meaning me and the girl of my dreams) purchased our dream home. It is a wonderful home and both of us simply love and adore it. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to go home to that place every day. It truly is an honor for me but more than that, my love is very happy there and that makes it all worth while!

But since I have never hit the lottery nor am I a gazillionaire, well, we just have to pay for the house the old-fashioned way. And that payment pretty much eats up all my "disposable" income..................**sigh**

And that was a choice I freely made and with no regrets. None at all.

But that also meant that I had nothing left over for a motorcycle.

And since I do sincerely believe that if you put forth an effort in life, you will be rewarded in time. It may not be in your time but it will happen.

Therefore fate, once again, smiled down on me and I got a chance to purchase a 1998 Fat Boy from a friend of mine.

Now this bike is NOT the bike of my dreams. The engine is 4 generations old and it's just not what I had in mind for me.

But the price was right - and more importantly for me, while mulling these things around in my head, fate sent me several people who told me that they could help me make this bike into something that I would be proud of.

And with that, I was off and running. My imagination and creativity were at full speed.

That process has started now. I'll be looking for more ideas while I'm at Daytona but the basic fact of the rebuild will include custom made gas tanks and fenders, a bitchin' paint job, a hot motor rebuild and to top it all off, some very cool red spoke wheels with gangster white wall tires.

So that's the story on the "new" bike.

What's your story?

Peace

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Karma has smiled on you, my friend.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

I like the styling of the Fat Boy line. It is one of my favorite HDs.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home