Monday, September 29, 2008

No Bloggin' SOB

Well, I blew through an entire week with nothing on my mind to share.

Either that or I was entirely lazy and slothful.

Could have even been that I was really busy at work.

Or maybe just a combination of all of it.

So whatever it was, I sincerely apologize.

I don't know anything that happened in the intervening time that was interesting except for yesterday afternoon when I went, with my beautiful wife, to the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church for a little choir program.

That in and of itself isn't so interesting except the fact that my lovely wife and I were the only white folks there.

Religion is diffrerent in a black church. Real different.

And I must admit that it's a joy to watch - a little strange, almost as if I was a spy hiding while observing something that I'm not supposed to see.

But it was very cool. The music was very, um, vivid! It was alive in a way that even our cool, funky, musically superior band at our church could never touch.

In other words, it was THUMPIN'!!!

Then we got a little sermon. And that sermon had all the action of anything I've ever witnessed. The message was very simple but the presentation was amazingly theatric and I must say I enjoyed it as well.

I can also report that our black brothers and sisters dress a hell of a lot better than we do when they go to church. I saw clothes that would have been fine for any activity in New York City.

So after over 2 hours of all that religion, we took our leave and got lots of hugs from little old black ladies and lots of waves. I can only imagine that they were all wondering what we were doing there.

But I'll do it again because it is well with my soul. Oh yea, it is well...........

Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

African-American churches really have the worship thing down, don't they — as joyous and loving as you should be whenever you love someone or something.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Welcome back to blogland. I love the feeling of freedom in black churches. Sing, dance, and AMEN your heart out! :)

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been to a funeral and a wedding in a black church and that was something to behold as well. The preacher at the funeral said something that will stay with me forever. I love me some thumpin' gospel music!!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always say when I get to heaven, I want to sing like a black woman. It's been way too long since I've been to a 'black church' (I always hate saying that, but it's what we say around here, right?) and probably could use a good dose of some soul gospel Jesus time!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home