Friday, March 24, 2006

Death Of A Dream - Or The Risks Of Living Vicariously

My friend Eddie. Oh my poor friend Eddie.

Eddie loves Duke basketball. All during football season he gets ragged, not only because he is an ardent "Ole Miss Supporter" (notice I said "supporter" instead of the typically used noun FAG-GIT, which is French for homo) and well, Duke football isn't just anything to write home about anyway.

So all hope is put upon the healthy shoulders of smart white kids that can shoot the rock, and Duke lost. To LSU, the arch-enemy of all things Ole Miss.

So today I am actually sad for my friend Eddie.

Hence the title of this post.

I have somehow out-grown the importance of athletic competition that I am not part of. I'm not sure when or how that occured, but it did. One day I just woke up and didn't care anymore if USM won or lost. I don't care if the Dallas Cowboys even play anymore. And the Saint's - well that's a long suffering unpassion.

But I still remember the days when I would get a stomach ache before the USM - MSU game in Jackson. How I would schedule my entire social calendar around the athletic events.

Now, when I go, it's just to visit, eat and drink. Mostly drink, I think.

But today I am sad for my friend Eddie. I love "Little E" and hope that one day he will be able to push away from the table and realize that it really is only a game.

But then again, maybe it's not.

Who am I to judge?

So everyone, please be nice to Eddie in his period of mourning.

And after that, you can go back to giving him shit real soon!

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home