Monday, July 31, 2006

Unforgettable, Unpredictable, Unbelievable

As I mentioned in my last post, I had the occasion to travel off with GOMD this weekend.

(GOMD stands for Girl of My Dreams for all you unimaginative people - by the way - the pronunciated term for this is GOMAD)

Which made me ponder many things.

Most of which I can’t discuss here because frankly, it’s just none of your business.

But the one thing I did want to talk about was how remarkable it was when you strip away all of the normal routine and there is nothing but unpredictability ahead of you - like it is when you’re on a trip.

It is very exciting.

But for me, there is so much comfort in the routine things in life. I get stupid amounts of joy from the most mundane activities like going to the grocery store or mowing the grass – so I may not be a good one to talk about this – and yet here I am doing so, and you’re reading it!

One fear I have heard from people is that what was once special will somehow morph into something very ordinary and no longer be special.

Well, for me, I just don’t believe in that, because I don’t experience that. But since I hear it often I have to admit that it probably exists.

Human behavior is very unpredictable and can be volatile from time to time. Just ask the people that freak out in traffic about that! And in truth, there is very little about life that has any certitude to it. You know, the old life, death and taxes argument.

But I have come to understand that as we grow we gain new insights, we change directions and we awaken new needs and desires. Change is always inevitable. Always.

And as profound as these changes may be, they are often subtle. It’s like how we can’t notice changes in ourselves because we see ourselves each day, but our great aunt, that sees us only once a year at Christmas, can pick out the changes right away.

I guess I can see that in some people who get together and spend so much time together. They lose sight of the important things and (gasp) start to take things for granted.

So what it is that allows us to remain just as excited as the first time? What makes us look forward to everyday events with the same longing as we experience when we go away on a trip and change the scenery?

It’s a secret – and I know it. I found it after a long, hard life full of wishing things were different.

I could call it courage and stick my chest out and pretend that I was brave.

But that wouldn’t be very honest.

I could call it luck and say that I stumbled upon the secret of life.

But, again, that wouldn’t be true either.

I could be hopelessly romantic and call it love.

And I would be right on the mark.

And I realize that it’s not very manly to discuss these things – but if I closely examine it, love is the answer. It’s the only answer that makes any sense.

When you love someone you are excited about seeing them. Even if you have seen them every day for the last 100 years.

When you love someone you want them to be proud of you. Even if they already are.

When you love someone you want to surprise them with something. Even if it is as ordinary as doing something for them that they normally do.

I truly do not fear the future because I am so grounded in my today that I understand why what is true for me today will only be truer tomorrow.

Sure, there is always an element of risk and uncertainty in the world. In our jobs. In our relationships. In our health. Risk and uncertainty always exist. They have to because nothing is ever scripted.

But to be able to let go of the fear of that risk and uncertainty is the one true thing that love brings to us.

I guess I had to have some children to fully understand that. To be able to love without condition is not a natural act – but it is instilled in each parent and if we pay close attention to that we can certainly apply it in other aspects of our lives without regard to crushing our “expectations” of how we think things should work out.

And without those “expectations” we can truly start to enjoy our today’s without any reservation.

Like Dale Carnegie said: “Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare”.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And find someone to love with all your heart. I’m telling you that your questions will be answered.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

GOMD is one lucky woman. I like it when people are happy together.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

Wonderful post. And don't you think falling in love at our age is more special because we know how rare and beautiful it is?

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home