Friday, October 20, 2006

A Long Summer.........

The weather turned cold last night and for the first time this year I feel like frolicking! Not quite in the mode of my Labrador Retriever, but maybe just tooling around on my motorcycle dressed in leather. I love the feel of the air and the crispness of the sun as it warms instead of HEATS.

Most people in the country love the coming of summer and it’s warmth – but down here in the oven, we all look forward to winter – even though we only get a “winter” every five years or so. I don’t think it ever froze last year so we’re hopeful that this year is the one in five!!!

We get to dig out our “winter clothes”, which basically means light sweaters and jackets. I knocked the dust off of mine this morning and have on a nice suede shirt that I forgot I even owned.

I love Fridays. Especially today.

Tomorrow will be a good day for me. We’re having Len Sweet come and do a seminar at our church tomorrow. If you don’t know who Leonard Sweet is, check him out on the web. He is an amazing author, mentor, agitator of the mainstream and many other things and it’s so cool that he is coming to see US. But what’s even cooler is that I get to cook him dinner tomorrow night. He lives on an island off the coast of Washington State, one of those isolated, incredibly beautiful places where you live a cloistered life full of blessings and not bothered by the common folks too much because you have to take a boat to get out there. But tomorrow night he will be eating a meal prepared by the mac-daddy of cuisine in South Mississippi and he may spend some quality time in the bathroom as a result, but he’ll definitely know he’s been served!!!

Still working on the menu – but whatever it is, it will be spicy and it will be alive. Wish I could share some with all of you, but alas, you’re there and the food’s all here!

Anyway, I was just listening to some Counting Crows stuff. The Adam guy that writes and sings is a bizzaro character, I think. He is very introspective and their stuff either knocks my socks off or I don’t care for it at all.

The song I am listening to now is one of them that knock the socks off.

A Long December – I can feel him mourning something. I feel his melancholy mood all through the recording. I don’t know what he’s lost – or maybe what he hasn’t found – but whatever it is, it’s very strong.

I don’t remember many “happy” songs from these guys but this one is especially sad to me for some reason. Not really sure why but since it is Friday and I’m in a great mood, I chose this one to share today.

Here goes:

A long December and there’s reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last
I can’t remember the last thing that you said as you were leavin’
Now the days go by so fast

And it’s one more day up in the canyons
And it’s one more night in Hollywood
If you think that I should be forgiven….I wish you would

The smell of hospitals in winter
And the feeling that it’s all a lot of oysters but no pearls
All at once you look across a crowded room
To see the way that light attaches to a girl

And it’s one more day up in the canyon
And it’s one more night in Hollywood
If you think you might come to California…..I think you should

Drove up to hillside manor, sometime after two a.m.
And talked a little while about the year
I guess the winder makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower – about the things you could not show her

And it’s been a long December and there’s reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last
I can’t remember all the times I tried to tell myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass

And it’s one more day up in the canyon
And it’s one more night in Hollywood
It’s been so long since I’ve seen the ocean……I guess I should

So there you have it. One terribly depressing tune all wrapped up in a catchy ditty that always makes me think. Never about the same thing twice, but it always makes me think.

And isn’t that what music is all about?

And here’s to your weekend. This Bud’s for you………..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's just growing up.

3:59 PM  
Blogger haahnster said...

I absolutely LOVE that song! It's a great one to put on when I've had a few too many drinks and everyone else is gone/asleep.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home