Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Top Ten List

My friend, The Haahnster, has posted his top ten funniest movie list. Since there are no original ideas on the blogosphere, he got it from someone else who I’m sure got it from someone else.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my two cents because funny movies are what makes the world go ‘round.

The problem with lists are that they are never complete and they can never capture the ethereal things that make movies funny - like smoking pot, or too much tequila or naked girls or someone next to you shooting milk out of their nose. There are way too many subjective things that go into making a movie experience funny.

The thing that defines funny movies to me is my ability to watch them over and over again without any problem. I love serious movies but once I’ve seen them, I am pretty much through with them. There are some exceptions such as the Godfather’s I & II. But once through Mystic River is enough for me.

And lists of funny movies sometimes dates us back to our formative years – but that’s OK because funny is funny. American Pie will never take the place of Animal House for me because I just happened to be starting college, living in an Animal House when that movie came out (and I’ve never fucked a pie, either!)

And like I said, there are many reasons we find movies funny but lists are finite and here is mine – and you may notice that they are not numbered and that is because I find that too daunting a task to rank something like this.

Drum roll please……………………..

O Brother, Where Art Thou? – This movie was hilarious on so many levels and I’m not even sure that it’s considered a comedy – but I loved it.

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure – I know, I know, I’ve heard it all – but I LOVE this movie. The sequel was painful but the original one was good to me.

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery – I thought this might have been the best parody of all time. The scene where they pitched the tent on the beach and the bad guys snuck up to them and watched their silhouettes getting stuff out of their bags which looked like they were shoving stuff up Austin’s ass was the last time I almost pee’d my pants in a theater.

Blazing Saddles – I don’t have to explain this too much. Never has Mel Brooks done a better parody than this tale of the Old West. How about when the sheriff was riding up and the old guy was trying to say that the sheriff was a nigger – and the bell rang each time he said nigger? Yea, top that.

Young Frankenstein – While we’re on the topic of Mel Brooks, I loved this black and white classic. How funny was Peter Boyle with his facial expressions as the monster?

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back – again, here’s one that I constantly have to explain to people, but jeez – I love me some Jay and Silent Bob. The outtakes on the DVD are the funniest things I have ever seen. The deleted scene where they tried to get on the bus to get to Hollywood and then got thrown off – and Jay looks at Silent Bob and says “didn’t we used to ride this for free in school” was so damn funny I don’t see how it could get cut from the final version.

There’s Something About Mary – this was funny on so many levels. Site gags such as the “cum in the hair” or verbal gymnastics with the dialog. This one is funny from top to bottom. Plus my neighbor Brett Favre had the worst acting debut ever. He says it was on purpose – but I’m not sure……….

Now for the holy trinity of funny movies. All are related through SNL and all will forever be classics.

Caddyshack – How funny can one movie be? And that boy had a beautiful golf swing as well.

Blues Brothers – The first movie I ever sat in the theater to see it again. I had to hide from the people cleaning up but I sat through it back to back. “It’s dark and we’re wearing sun glasses”………wow.

Animal House – The most successful movie ever as determined by how much it cost to make and how much it made. This movie was dead on and is so full of funny that I’m laughing right now just thinking about it. It was very funny even in the scenes where Belushi was absent. I think one problem that some people have with this movie is that it’s shown on TV so much that we forget how much they have to cut out to show it on TV and it’s just not nearly as funny as the original.

So that’s my list. I’m not ashamed of any of them and yes, there are a thousand more that could have made the list. But this is my list and I’m sticking by it.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great list ... I'm definitely with you on O Brother, but from Kevin Smith I'd take Clerks and I'd also add Office Space and two from the Broken Lizard crew, Super Troopers and this year's Beerfest

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made an observation-I think man funny is different from woman funny-But all those movies are funny. I still yuck it up at the 3 Stooges and the silents, Charlie Chaplan, Buster Keaton, etc.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home