Monday, January 15, 2007

Death Becomes No One

I went to a funeral today. A very, very sad funeral. A funeral that makes you realize the random nature of life. A funeral that made me realize, again, that I am so very blessed in my life.

Because sometimes, all you need to be blessed IS your life.

The funeral was for a young girl of 34 years old. A girl that had just gotten married to a boy that loved her the way I love my girl. Which is to say totally and completely with the desire to change not one single thing.

She had a seizure last week. She stepped out of the shower and was drying off and had a seizure. She had no history of seizures, it just happened.

So they rushed her to the hospital and put her in ICU. By the next day she was OK. They were going to move her to a regular room - but before they did that, they took her down for an MRI to see if they could determine what exactly caused the seizure.

While she was in the MRI machine, she had another seizure. And even though she was at one of the best hospitals in this part of the country, they could not revive her. Her heart stopped for 17 minutes and when they finally got it started, it wouldn't stay started. And by a few hours later........she was dead.

No warning. No goodbyes. No nothing except disbelief.

He was devistated. Totally and completely devistated. I mean wailing at the wind devistated. And all we can do is hug him while he wails.

What do you say? How do you react? There is nothing you can do to make it better because it's as bad as it gets. There is nothing you can say to have it make any sense because it doesn't make any sense.

So all you do is be there.

And in that sense of community, there is strength and healing. It will take time, but he will be healed and the blessings he received from her love in his life will be a strength in his life until he is called home.

Yes, today I was reminded that life is fragile and that life can be taken away in the briefest of moments.

So today, I told all those that matter how much I love them.

And isn't that all we can do in this world.

God Bless Doug Morris, my favorite DJ, and God Bless all of you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

I think you said it best. Life is wonderful.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home