Friday, May 04, 2007

It's A Matter Of Trust

My favorite Billy Joel song is "It's a Matter of Trust". And for some reason, that just sounds lame right now. I was reading an article yesterday that Billy just doesn't have it in him to write "pop" songs anymore.

And I know he's burned out and fat and bitter in his old age. But as I remember the late 70's and early 80's - he was quite a force in popular music. And it was good music. He had something like 33 top ten hits on the Billboard charts.

I'm sure that getting dumped by Christy Brinkley had to have a massive effect on his life. When they got married I remember thinking that they were an odd pair - but how cool was it for him to have a woman like that!!!

I feel the same way, my girl is amazingly beautiful and everytime I look at her I feel like the luckiest boy in the world.

And in my life, it truly is a matter of trust. I trust her completely. No matter how stupid it may be or how badly I screw up (and I do that, you know) she is always there for me, trusting and loving.

Which really and truly does make me the luckiest boy in the world!!!

Trust is based on faith. When we entrust our hearts to someone else, we assume that they will never, ever deliberately attempt to hurt us or make us feel less than we are. We count on the people we love to be honest, reliable and just. And we also believe that they will always be responsible because they have our hearts in their pockets!

But we are all imperfect and vulnerable. Especially to those that we love. There are millions of people in the world that could abuse me and say nasty things to me and I wouldn't give a damn one way or the other. I simply don't care what others say or think about me because I am very well grounded. But if my love were to say the same things to mr I would be totally and compeletely devistated.

So it's simply a matter of trust for me. I believe that she has my best interests at heart and I will do whatever I need to do in order to make that come true each and every day.

I find that trust implies forgetting the past and moving forward, or even trying again when it doesn't work the first time. And with the knowledge that if my effort is imperfect or out of bounds, that it is still worth it. Because love is all in the effort.

My goal, has never been godliness because I'm not that good - but my goal is simply humanness. And what that means to me is that I am available at all times for her, emotionally and physically and to try to be the best I can be. When I fail, I get up and try harder next time.

And because she has faith in me, I am able to do those things with complete confidence.

So I guess this rambling is my way of saying THANK YOU to her for being all she is for me and letting her know that I appreciate and relish each and every opportunity to manifest my love for her on a daily basis.

And in closing, I want to include the lyrics to the Billy Joel song that I referenced in the title of this post because I feel that music can express our thoughts and feelings in such a way that we are unable to. And that's just so cool! And it says all I feel about my love. It really is a matter of trust........

A Matter of Trust - Billy Joel

Some love is just a lie of the heart
The cold remains of what began with a passionate start
And they may not want it to end
But it will - it's just a question of when
I've lived long enough to have learned
The closer you get to the fire, the more you get burned
But that won't happen to us
Because it's always been a matter of trust

I know you're an emotional girl
It took a lot for you to not lose your faith in this world
I can't offer you proof
But you're gonna face a moment of truth
It's hard when you're always afraid
You just recover when another belief is betrayed
So break my heart if you must
It's a matter of trust

You can't go the distance
With too much resistance
I know you have doubts
But for God's sake don't shut me out

This time you've got nothing to lose
You can't take it, you can leave it
Whatever you choose
I won't hold back anything
And I'll walk away a fool or a king

Some love is just a lie of the mind
It's make believe until it's only a matter of time
And some might have learned to adjust
But then it never was a matter of trust

I'm sure you're aware, love
We'be both had our share of believing too long
When the whole situation was wrong

Some love is just a lie of the soul
A constant battle for the ultimate state of control
After you've heard lie upon lie
There can hardly be a question of why
Some love is just a lie of the heart
The cold remains of what began with a passionate start
But that can't happen to us
Cause it's always been a matter of trust

It's a matter of trust
It's always been a matter of trust..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home