Monday, July 09, 2007

Following the Yellow Brick Road




My life has been so damn busy lately, I haven’t been doing a very good job posting.

Sorry Charlie!

Not sure where I left off or where I’m going – but did I mention last time that I was in love? Oh yea, I’m in love big time. And after several years, it just keeps getting stronger – like an REM song.

Speaking of old things. Went last weekend to see the Police in New Orleans. Wow, what a great show. I divorced myself from any feelings of nostalgia and watched it through eyes that had no expectations and was amazed at the wonderful and technical nature of the music. But the energy – the thing you can’t fake – was amazing. I was very impressed with the old boys. Sting looked 35 and was in fabulous shape. And besides singing “down” an octive or two in a few occasions, his voice was as strong as ever.

All in all, it was an amazing experience. Especially since we were in a luxury suite. Not a bad way to go.

Went to see the new “Transformers” movie last night. Never knew a thing about those toys but my son told me that the movie was one of the coolest things he has seen in quite a while, so on that advice alone, I went. And boy, was he right. That was a very cool movie. Most assuredly a boy movie – not many girls in the audience. But I will say that the 8:05pm Sunday night showing in Hattiesburg, MS was sold out. I mean SOLD OUT. Which is very bizarre.

This movie has an incredible word-of-mouth thing going on. Next weekend is my Die Hard or Live Free moment.

My girl hates my choice of movies. I tell her all the time that I can’t help it – it’s a boy-thing and she wouldn’t understand……….

That actually works.

Let’s see – what else goes on in the world……..Oh, I went out Saturday and shot my WWI and WWII guns at the range at Camp Shelby (where they train all the babies to go to Iraq to protect our freedom??)

The M1 Garand was fabulous. First chance I’d had to shoot it since I bought it. Put 15 of 16 inside the target at 150 yards. Not bad for an old fellow. I could NOT imagine being a German soldier and having to face a company of those things firing in repetition. Those 30.06 sound like cannons and make the .223 M16 stuff look like baby rounds. Then I shot my Lee-Enfield .303 that I’ve had my entire life. It was a little rusty – but for a weopon used literally in 1905, it was pretty cool to shoot. It kicked like a mule and shot very accurately with the adjustable windage on the sights.

All in all a very good day.

At the end of this month, it was going to be very cool because I had tickets to see the White Stripes at an outdoor concert just south of Memphis – but alas, I have to be in Chicago that day. But the exciting thing about the Chicago trip is that I’m taking the girl and the train up there. Never taken Amtrak. Hope the 19 hours from New Orleans to Chicago will be fulfilling. I’m sure since I have a room, it will be fulfilling to SOMEONE!!!!

Anyway, enough snippets of my life. Not much of substance to write – more of feeling a tad guilty about not posting so I threw everything at the wall and saw what stuck.

Hope your week is wonderful.

Hope your life is wonderful.

I love mine.

Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I heard Andy Summers' guitar playing was lame in the early shows. How did he sound when you saw The Police?

LOVE the R.E.M. analogy; I may steal that someday soon.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sting is in such great shape because he does yoga. Maybe I should try it. Yeah, whatever. Hope you have fun in your travels.

5:20 PM  
Blogger KK said...

Beth,

Andy Summers was an old man - I was shocked. As young as Sting seemed, Andy was that much older. I realize that he is several years older and is in his sixtys but geez - he looked like a geezer.

I found his guitar playing to be ethereal.

Which is exactly how it always was. He plays counter-punches with his guitar and not lead so I was not disappointed in it. It truly sounded as it should have.

I never considered him to be a great guitarist but his fit with the band was consistant.

So you can take that however you want to!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Rookie Mama said...

We took the train to Alabama a couple of years ago... had a great time. It woulda been better if we had had a private room. Take lots of booze with you.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to get away too.....can I go?? I won't bother y'all, I'll just hang out in the bar and drown my worries in some crown royal or something and drone about the bar and play some poker or something.

I promise. I will even pay for my plane ticket.

yea right.....Debi

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home