Thursday, August 16, 2007

Cowboys and Infernos

Well, this Saturday was supposed to be my Cowboy Action Shooting premier - but I've got too many things on my plate so I'll postpone that until next month. I went last Saturday to the range and fired 500 rounds of 45 caliber Long Colt ammunition through the cowboy guns. And I know this is mostly a boy-thing, but OMG, that is very cool. To draw a pistol and fire at steel targets that fall down when you hit them. The noise, the smoke, The feel and smell of the leather - or quite simply, the dreams of every little boy that got up early on Saturday to watch Roy Rogers.............

Maybe it will be a little cooler by next month!

For those of you not down here in the sunny south, it's been the month from HELL.

Literally.

The heat index has been bouncing between 107 and 118. It's been so hot that you can't breathe. As I drive around and see people that have jobs like mowing yards, my heart just breaks.

I used to do that. I worked on a landscaping crew while in college and there is absolutely no escape from the heat when you're playing in the dirt.

People don't even want to get in their pools because the water is too hot to give relief.

I have no idea if global warming is real or if it's just voodoo stuff - but I can tell you that it is hotter than hell.

So I've got a college fraternity reunion this weekend. We've rented out a swanky clubhouse and will commence eating, drinking and having fun around lunchtime. There is a golf tournament in the morning that I, again, won't be participating in because my back just won't let me...........yet.

Actually, the truth is, the I probably won't ever get to do that again. Which would be fine and dandy with my fine and dandy wife!!! Yea, she's not a golf fan due to circumstances not discussed here.

My job for the reunion, as it is everywhere I go, is to cook. But it's just too hot to do that right now so I went to a bbq place that a friend of mine owns and got him to smoke me 100 half chickens with all the fixin's. So all I need to do is get all the "stuff" that goes with it - which is no big deal.

Later that evening, it's my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary dinner - so I'll get to visit with many out of state cousins and toast those two remarkable people who have been so very good to me.

Still have no idea what kind of gift to get people that have everything and I'll welcome any suggestions that any of you have.

My beautiful wife is having a time at work. It's their busy season for paperwork and she has been spending late nights working and bringing work home and being exhausted when she finally gets finished.

And I'm missing her.

But it should be over soon so I can have my baby back. Hummm, there's a song in there, isn't there?

So that's all the news that is news.

Hope your day just rocks.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marni said...

I LOVE that picture!!!!!!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home