Monday, August 06, 2007

Train, Train Go Away

Oh to be a blooger with not enough time……………..

But at least, as I read the ones I read each day I realize that I’m not alone!!!

I do count on this for an outlet for me. As some close to me tell me, I say TOO MUCH at times, but I’m just an open book kind of guy……..

So with no grand theme in mind, here it goes for today.

Last week, I went to Chicago and took the train for the first time here in America. It’s funny, I’ve traveled by train all over Europe in my backpacking youth but never too Amtrak anywhere.

It was very interesting. But if I do it again, I’ll have to have the rare FULL bedroom instead of the roomette and I’ll have to go somewhere romantic like through the Rocky Mountains or somewhere out west. Going through the heartland of America beside Interstate 55 through all the farm country was not the most inspiring vistas I have ever seen.

Now I will tell you that the food was magnificent. Really, really magnificent.

We got on the train at 1:45 and pulled out in a horrendous thunderstorm (which made me happy not to be flying!). We hung out in our roomette, which had two large seats that faced each other with about 2’ of room for our legs. It was fairly comfortable for that purpose. It wasn’t so bad for the mile low club either!

Then when it was time to eat at 6pm we went to the dining car. Linen table cloths, good wine and the whole deal. Our choices for dinner included braised lamb shanks, beef tenderloin in a benaise sauce, roasted chicken with rice pilaf, bbq ribs and the special of the day, which I got, country fried steak and mashed potatoes. I was very impressed with dinner. They brought a desert of some kind of chocolate thing that made me sexually aroused. It was that good.

So then it was back to the room. After MORE reading, it was time to make up the beds which consisted of pushing the chairs together for the “big” bed for me and pulling down the bunk for my love which was so small it had straps to clip her in so she wouldn’t fall out.

Now this roomette was 6’6” long and 3’6” wide. Seemed smaller………

So I attempted to sleep. The train stopped at every town from New Orleans to Chicago and blew the whistle at all RR crossings which are apparently constant. I slept not a wink. Not a damn wink.

I finally got up around 4am to walk around and go to the observation car to watch the sun rise. That was at least cool. Then I took my love some coffee and we went to breakfast at 6am.

Again the food was good. I had a western omelet with hash browns and she had a delicious cheese and spinach quiche.

We finally got to Chicago at 9am – right on time!

Then we exited into the largest train station I’ve ever seen. Union Station in Chicago must have had a bazillion people getting there from all the different commuter trains and other assorted subway cars depositing people downtown to go to work.

After being cooped up on the train, we decided to walk to the hotel – had no idea where it was so it was an adventure, which is one of my favorite things. We finally found it after a mile or so of walking (with luggage) in the 90-degree heat and 100% humidity.

We stayed at the Palmer House Hilton in downtown Chicago, which as I learned, is the oldest continually operated hotel in the United States. It was very, very nice. All marble and fancy. But I didn’t care – all I wanted was a bed. And I found it! It was nice for a nap. A long, great nap.

So after more calisthenics we went out to explore the pub scene, which is very rich in Chicago.

It was a good day, it ended with the reason I went to Chicago which was a formal dinner – which was once again excellent. Then it was off to bed and up at 6 to go to the airport for the blessedly short flight of an hour and a half back home. No more train. I could not have faced another 19-hour train ride.

I pity those folks that are afraid to fly and take the train everywhere.

But it was a good trip and I’m glad I did it.

Don’t you always hate coming back to work after you’ve been off for a few days? My desk was very crowded. But alas, that’s the price you pay to play!

So for now, that’s all the news that was news.

I hope you and yours are good. If not, change something!

Peace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell us about a biking trip...

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home