Monday, July 23, 2007

Stick 'em Up

Happy Monday!

Yep, it's been a week and a half and I'm still a happily married man!

Very, very happy.

Of course, this time, there was really no guessing. It really does make all the difference in the world when you love, love, love the person you're married to.

I tried it the other way and hoped for the best before and that one was not so good............

But that's the cool thing about life, you can start over whenever you want to.

So why do so many people feel trapped? All you have to do is look around and you can find legions of miserable people who feel they are STUCK.

And it is hard, the starting over thing. But if you really want to do it and have the capcity in your heart to love - then let the big dog run. When you love, things are so much easier and the guess work is not so mind-numbing.

Anyway, that's not what I'm posting about. I just can't seem to stop talking about it.

My friend with the baby that was sick I talked about in my previous post is well and at home with mommy and daddy and there is much rejoicing in our community. Love it when a storybook ending happens in real life.

I still haven't been to see them - we've been requested to let them rest and catch up on sleep and life in general - but I've got some wonderful bbq pork, beans, potato salad to take over there to soothe their souls. Nothing like a little Southern Bbq to make you feel better about EVERYTHING IN LIFE!

Back to the title of this post.................

Stick 'em up!

I went to a cowboy shoot this Saturday. For those that don't know these things, it is the largest competitive shooting format going on these days. And it's exactly what it sound like. Cowboy shooting. You can go to www.sassnet.com and check it out.

I was a little tentative about this because one of the "historically correct" things that you have to do is to dress in "period dress".

And I am all boy, so I love Star Wars and Star Trek and all that kind of stuff - but I'm not the kind of boy that dresses up like Mr. Spock and goes to a convention.

I took my secretary's husband with me. He is all things GUNS. He's a gun dealer, a veteren from the first Gulf War, a sniper, a state champion high-powered rifle boy. But most importantly, he knows all there is to know about guns - so I thought it would be good to take him and see if he was interested in it as well.

He, like I, was worried about the "geek factor" (which is kind of like the O'Reilly Factor - only with guns). But much to our surprise, when we got there, the "historically correct dress" was not a big deal. Most folks just had jeans, boots, long sleeved henley pullovers and cowboy hats for the most part.

But the cool thing was that everything stopped when we walked up and everyone came over and made us feel very welcome. Which is unusual when you are starting a new endeavor.

They treated us boys in shorts and flip flops like we were royalty and made us a couple of believers right then and there.

This shooting thing is very cool. They have an entire "town" build in the midde of a huge field way out in the country. There are something like 12 buildings and other assorted stuff. They shoot 5 stages at each competition. The guns you use are two single action six shooters, a 1873 Winchester rifle and a sawed-off shotgun. There are metal targets, spinning targets, skeet that flies up and all kinds of stuff. Each stage is done in one of the buildings. You shoot out of windows, around bar stools, etc.

And the thunder of the 45 caliber colts is magical. Hooked this boy in 5 minutes.

So I think my search for an activity I can do once a month after my back surgery has been found. I can't play golf anymore - My motorcycle is totaled (damn it) and I can't be as physical as I used to be. So maybe blowing lead at targets in a competitive environment will be the answer.

If you are looking for me on the third Saturday of the month, I'll be at the Mississippi Peacemaker's range fulfilling every little boy's dream. And if you decide to show up, make sure you're up range instead of down!

Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

How's married life? Did y'all move into your place or her place?

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and Keith goes on and on...cheers to that:))

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dadgum, do they let girls come??

That sounds like fun to me!!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home