Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Jerusalem Offensive

Looks like we're having another OFFENSIVE in Iraq.

Personally, I find the whole thing offensive. I just can't really and truly see a good outcome in any of this. And I wonder, wonder, wonder how we got to this point.

We're now officially losing all the wonderful progress we made in Afghanistan. As soon as we pull out from our moronic "rules of engagement" we will find that we have alienated all those people that we "liberated" from oppression. The Taliban or it's iteration will be back in charge in no time at all. And you can quote me on that.

And only the Good Lord knows what will be left in Iraq.

Why couldn't George see the wisdom of the advice from his commanders and split that country up into seperate ethnic regions and at least give those people a chance to survive? What is it about us that makes us so righteous to think that unless it is our way that it is the wrong way?

Makes me sick.

Anyway, I was listening to Steve Earle last night. Again, one of our true troubadours, sing about Jerusalem:

I woke up this mornin' and none of the news was good
The death machines were rumblin' 'cross the ground where Jesus stood
And the man on the TV told me that it had always been that way
And there was nothin' anyone could do or say

And I almost listened to him
Yea, I almost lost my mind
Then I regained my senses again
And looked into my heart to find

That I believe that one fine day, all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem

Well maybe I'm just dreamin' and maybe I'm just a fool
But I don't remember learnin' how to hate in Sunday School
But somewhere along the way I strayed and never looked back again
But I still find some comfort now and then

Then the storm come rumblin' in
And I can't lay me down
And the drums are drummin' again
And I can't stand the sound

But I believe there'll come a day when the lion and the lamb
Will lie down in peace together in Jerusalem

And there'll be no barricades then
There'll be no wires or walls
And we can wash the blood from our hands
And all this hatred from our souls

And I believe that on that day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem......................


The definition of a troubadour is one that speaks truth that makes one think. King David was the first one. Check out the honesty of the Psalms if you're confused.

It is our duty to speak out. We can't bury our heads in the sand. We have to stand up and say something. We have to vote. We have to express our feelings. That and only that is what brings us true freedom.

I worry for our country when people are afraid to cry out. The late, great Karl Rove is going, going gone - which may be a bright spot in all this. He was the one that devised the ruthless strategy of taking everyone with an opposing voice and smearing them so badly that no one wanted to say anything - even if they were right.

I pray that whoever is next elected to the presidency will come with the determination to put things right - no matter what the cost. To bring honor and dignity back to the perception of America throughout the world. To allow us to be true leaders instead of bullies that shove our points of view down the throats of our allies and our enemies with equal vigor.

So that's all my political ravings for today.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

troubadour...!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all so crazy, isn't it? Also, finally, someone I can talk some politics with - :)

One of my favorite songs (It's Not Too Late, by the completely amazing and soulful Over the Rhine - I think you would really like them, try the Ohio album first) says "Till we walk like lovers through Bethlehem, Lord, how long, how long?"

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home