Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Where For Art Thou, Dreamhouse?

The decision has been made to move on up to the East Side.

Or wherever that was that George and Weezie went!

Yep, after all the work on our house, we're a-sellin' it and moving onward.

Moving is so huge and in the past, I would have been mortified to even attempt something like this when we're so comfy where we are.

But this time, I'm actually excited about it.

Our house is too small. It's nice - but it's way too small.

So we started that process yesterday. All weekend my baby packed closets and got everything looking so very Southern Living and we put the house on the market yesterday. We went out late yesterday afternoon and looked and looked.

I mean "officially" looked. We've been perusing the neighborhoods and talking highs and lows for a few weeks. But yesterday we got in the car with the Realtor and went off to find our dream home.

And I found the quandry right away................

Each house has something you really like about it - but none of the houses had everything you want.

It's like some kind of perverted test to see what you'll give up for that one thing you just gotta have!

My list of stuff I gotta have is pretty small. I think.

So I'll list them in terms of NEEDS and then the WANTS:

I need a nice house that my wife will be proud of and will let me entertain as often as I like.

I need a neighborhood that I'll like walking down the street in - something established that doesn't look like a cow pasture that someone plopped houses in the middle of.

I need an outdoor storage thingy to put my S-H-I-T in that will be my sanctuary from mundane life.

I need a home office that will also allow me to have my "stuff" that doesn't go with the rest of the decor - all boys know what I mean here....................my gaudy boy stuff. Guns, rebel flags, big speakers........you get the picture. Oh yea, and along this same line of thinking - it has to have a DOOR!

That pretty much covers my needs - now all I have to deal with is my wants - and they aren't quite so clear in my head. Which falls squarely under the category of "I'll know it when I see it"!

I want a nice kitchen. I'd love a gourmet professional kitchen but we're not millionaires (yet) so that will probably have to wait. I'll just take something that is well laid out with plenty of storage. A pantry would be a huge bonus for me. So would granite counter tops. And gas. OK, I'll stop on the kitchen because whatever it is, won't be enough - so lets not worry about it. I've been doing as good as I can with what I have for all of my life anyway!

I want some wood floors. Nice wood floors in the great room and associated living spaces. I love wood floors.

I want 4 bedrooms as well as the office space I listed under needs. But it may be that the 4th bedroom would have to be an office and that would be OK. I just WANT both.

I want a covered patio space that is nice. This is very close to a need, but in the department of being realistic, I've put it in the want column.

I want landscaping. I don't want to live in a new yard ever again. It's a pain in the ass. It may be necessary to have a new yard if we go with new construction but I'll certainly give a big check mark to some nice trees, grass and plants already there. I hate yard work.................

And that about covers both lists for me. I find myself inching upwards in the price range as I search for all those wants and needs. I'm pretty sure that I'll price myself out of my range before I find the perfect house. But it's fun to look!

Wherever we go, it will be fine. Because I happen to live with the girl of my dreams and no matter where we may roost, I'll be one happy boy!

So wish me luck!

And on a side note - It is wonderful that the Fed cut the interest rate by the largest margin in recent history today. It's a good time to be buying and selling! I just got $25,000 more house for the same money.

It's better to be lucky than good - ain't it?

Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Luck is wished! Have fun with the hunting.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a new house too. I'm coveting your dreamhouse and you haven't even found it yet.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just call your boyfriend for the yardwork--I hear he likes to do yardwork. Oh--and doesn't he have a Viking stove?? hummmm?? Tina

10:50 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

You can use my truck for the move. Hell, I'll even let you have Josh for the day.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home