Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Eye Day


Eye, as in the first letter of inauguration.


The day that the unimaginable is actually happening.


It truly is impossible for me to put into word the emotions that I am feeling.


If I weren't such a manly man I could tell you that as I drove to work and listened to NPR this morning, there was a tear or two that trickled down my face.


But for the official record - real men don't cry even at funerals............or movies.................or sappy love songs................we just tough - inside and out!


But the hope that I feel is real. It is amazing and for the first time in a long time, I am proud to be an American. The celebration that is going on all over the world is indicative of the way everyone feels.


And I know that my more, um, "conservative" friends think I'm crazy and that the end of the world is right around the corner - that they are smirking right now - but the truth is you just can't argue with the evidence of joy that is being expressed all over the world.


It will be a rough road and with each failure I expect to hear a big ole "I told you so" from many corners of my life - but all in all I realize that it will be a long, hard road to turn this ship around. And maybe the best we can hope for is to get things going in the right direction. There may not be time to "fix" what needs fixing - but at least we can start down that long, dusty road.


The implications of today are so mind-blowing. Within my lifetime, WDC was the most segregated place in our country and today a black dude is being sworn in as the Fucking President of the United States of America.


Bob Dylan was right as usual - the times, they are a-changin'


Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home