Thursday, April 01, 2010

Knoweth Thy Truth

It’s almost Easter!

My favorite holiday in the whole wide world.

Besides the obvious Easter Bunny chocolates, we’ve got a lot more going for us on this holiday…….

Like the whole crucifiction, death and resurrection thing.

The validity for our beliefs.

The beans for our coffee, so to speak.

And let’s face it, it’s kind of like the Super Bowl with Jesus as the quarterback!

It’s also the time when most non-church goers actually go to church.

So be sure and shake and hand and make them feel welcome.

But it’s also a time for those of us who do worship regularly to reach down and reconcile within ourselves the truth we profess.

I believe it is the time for renewal for all of us.

It is a time to wash away all of the contradictions inherent in our scriptures and focus on the important stuff.

Here is my favorite contradiction:


Mark 9:40 says “for whoever is not against us is for us”

Matthew 12:30 says “he who is not with me is against me”


Yea, you’re right…….it does say the opposite.

So what?

What does that matter and why do folks get all bogged down in arguing about that kind of stuff when it's not central to our faith?

Some of my Baptist friends hate these discussions because it makes them just downright nervous, because for lots of them, God is a teacher with a ruler about to whack them on the knuckles.

My favorite representation of all time on this suject was presented on the second season of West Wing.

President Bartlet had him a right-winger radio host named Dr. Sallie Shephard who he bitch slapped with a little biblical tomfoolery…….

Bartlet: I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Radio Lady: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yes it does. Leviticus.

Radio Lady: 18:22.

President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse.

I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here.

I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police?

Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side?

Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you?

Ha!!

So I was kidding about the name, it wasn't Sallie Shephard - I just wanted to mess with one of my favorite girls!!

And, of course, the list could go on and on about the CONTEXT of scripture and how in order to understand it's meaning, you must understand the 5 W's (who, what, when, where, why) in order for it to be meaningful or not.

This is not the time to pick out words to defend our own points of view via scripture.

No, this is simply a time for us to worship and acknowledge our truth.

So on this Holiest of Holy Days, I ask that you put aside all of your doubt, all of your confusion, all of your internal monologues - and simply worship in awe of the most amazing promise fulfilled.

Happy Easter Y'all

Peace

1 Comments:

Anonymous sw said...

I love me some Jeb Bartlett. I would vote for him in a heartbeat. Not Martin Sheen, mind you, but Jeb Bartlett. I saw that episode too and threw in a little BOO YAH myself! - Hope to see you at the Good Friday service tonight, my little right winger.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home