Thursday, April 15, 2010

La Provance!

Last night, my beautiful wife and I went and met some friends in beautiful, backwater, Lacombe, LA and had dinner at Chef John Besh's restaurant La Provance.

Oh My God!

It was quite amazing. We were met by the "mixologist" Joyce who had been working there for over 30 years and she showed us around.

We went back to the herb gardens and looked as row after row of yummy smelling things were growing........it was at that exact moment when we first saw (well, really it was smelled) the pig pens.

They had furry pigs in the back of the restaurant. And goats. And chickens. And lambs. Quite the menagerie.

The pigs stunk! But they looked so cool with all that fur all over them. The manager (who spent at least 30 minutes with us!) told us they were a special breed from Austria and those back there were only around 4 months old and weighed less than 200lbs. He said in the next few months they would be 500lbs. And that's a lot of pig!

Then we sat down to some wine and some garlic crustini with chicken liver pate' - wow, was that good.

Then came the menu's and everything on there looked so very good. I chose the quail gumbo for a first course which conisted of a quail, stuffed with dirty rice, in the bottom of the bowl and then had a very dark roux base poured over the top of it. I have never had gumbo served like that nor have I ever tasted any gumbo that tasted like that. It was magnificent.

Then for my main course I got the special which was rabbit loin wrapped in thier homemade smoked bacon and it was also stuffed with some kind of stuffing. It sat upon a black-eyed pea cassolet and had little balls of saute'd root vegitables.

Oh My God!

I kid you not, this was a most amazing meal.

My wife had an aparagus/oyster soup which was green as grass and yummy as hell. Then she got the speckled trout which she loved.

Unfortunately, by the time our main courses arrived we were full so we only picked at our food.

But being full is no reason not to order desert! So I got some creme brulee' that had berries reduced in red wine with them. Heavenly doesn't quite describe this desert.

So after coffee, I had to drive us back an hour and a half home.

We had gotten to the restaurant around 6:20 and left there at 9:20, so it was a full night ordeal - but one that I will gladly do again.

Bon Apetite!

2 Comments:

Anonymous sw said...

You sure do find joy in eating strange stuff. I'm not eating anybody's liver or pet.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! only wish I could lead your life KK .. Lord over all and the fixin's too!! :)

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home