Friday, May 14, 2010

Heart of a Teenager

Well, the results are in!

No, I don't have a heart of stone.

No, I don't have a heart made of swiss cheese.

I have a heart of a teenager!

At least, that's what the cardiologist told my wife.

I'm sure she wanted to tell him that wasn't the only aspect of my life that was like a teenager, but I'm sure that her sense of propriaty did not allow her to go into details like that!

The heart cath was very cool. I got to watch it and everything.

They inserted a huge, and I mean HUGE, IV into my arm, plopped me on a metal table in a very cold room, covered me with a warm blanket, shaved my pubes on the right side, gave me some ineffectual narcotics and plunged a huge thing into my femoral artery!

Then the doctor threaded a guide wire up to my heart, then threaded a sheath around that thing and then put in another thing with a jaws and star wars stuff on it.

I was lying flat on that slab but was able to watch in the monitor as the went along. It was so cool.....

I watched him go up this way and then down that way - I watched him shoot this contrasting dye all over and then saw how it "lit" up the veins and arteries as it went around the old heart.

I did not notice anything that didn't look like it didn't go where it was supposed to - and that's a good thing!

The doctor said he didn't see anything that wasn't as it was supposed to me.

Yea for me.

I guess the biggest thing is that it didn't hurt at all. Not even a little. I'm sure that there probably aren't many nerve endings on the inside of you - but I certainly expected there to be some discomfort. I mean, after all, they shoved something as big as a telephone cord through half of my body!

So for those of you that prayed for me - thanks!

For those of you that wished I was going to die, well, better luck next time!

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home