Saturday, April 22, 2006

Eternal Optimist

I am, by all accounts, an eternal optimist. Heck, I'm even a member of the Optimist Club. And as I look back on the first half of my life, I guess I've always been that way.

I choose the half full instead of the half empty philosophy and I truly believe that is a choice.

Optimism should be a huge part of your life. When I wake up in the morning I truly want to see what the day will bring. And yes, some days I know it will bring me a load of shit - but within that shit there are always pearls, sometimes it just takes a while to find them.

I think about optimism when I view relationships. I don't look for the bad side of people, I know it's there because I've got one too, but I choose to expect the best from people because my experience is that if you expect the best from folks, then you're much more likely to get it than if you expect to be disappointed.

Those who fear the bad in relationships will always find it. There is no greater way to fail than to look for failure because by searching for it and focusing on it, you invite it in to stay.

Belief in love and the success it brings all of us, on the other hand, will highlight all of the good things that happen in relationships. I mean seriously, why shouldn't it always be good? Why can't our futures be one of bright, shining growth and happiness?

It's our duty to live in the hope that every decision we make and every action we perform will take us in the right direction. Shoot, even our mistakes can highlight the good in ourselves and in others because it can remind us of all that is good instead of just dwelling on the thing you shouldn't have said or done.

Love doesn't insist on perfection and neither should we. Love thrives in a positive view of self, life and the world around us. All we have to do is keep our focus on the wonderful things that are inherent in each relationship and we can free ourselves from our mistakes of the past and just trust and be encouraged by the present. That takes all the fear out of the future because you're too busy living and enjoying your life today to worry about it.

My experience shows that if you can actualize your dreams, then they can truly happen. But it's more than that, you have to not just hope for the best, you have to strive to make it happen.

My lady is always thinking that her quirks are somehow irritating to me and that they will somehow drive a wedge somewhere. If she only knew and understood that I don't even see those things. All I see is the shining embodiment of all that I believe is good in this world. She shines like the sun in my eyes and everytime there is a solar flare, that's all I consider it to be. It could no more dim the bright sun that she is in my eyes than I could cut cheese from the moon.

So today, please try to see what is good in your world and focus on that. I'll bet at the end of the day, you'll be much happier and better able to enjoy the fruits of your life.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home