Thursday, April 20, 2006

Good Night and Good Luck

I watched the above mentioned movie last night. If you haven't seen it and you are remotely interested in sociology, I highly recommend it.

The premise is the tension between the news media and Senator McCarthy's communist witch hunt and the fear that was so pervasive at that time in our history. I thought the presentation was wonderful. It completely captured all the nuances and the heroism it took to stand up for what is right in America.

Sometimes, especially these days when the media seems so, I don't even know the word for it, so hostile towards their points of view, that it's good to go back and see when the media actually stood for truth and justice.

I listen to Rush Limbaugh at times just to remember why I think the "conservative agenda" is so skewed. I look toward the "mainstream" media and look for their liberal leanings as the conservatives scream all the time but I don't ever see it. All I see is sensationalism, which does not serve anyone. It seems the serious journalism, such as the kind that brought down the Nixon administration, is completely gone.

People in journalism should never make news, they should just report it and comment on it. From those opinions we get our debates.

I miss that.

I miss enlightenment. I don't care if I agree or disagree, I just want to know what is going on and what you think about it. I don't care about Tom Cruise or Angelina Jolie.

So when they tell me that Katie Couric is moving to the CBS Evening News, well, let's just say that I don't care. Walter Cronkite must be snorting through his walrus mustache.

So I'm stuck with the news on the internet so I can draw my own conclusions.

Stay informed, care what happens but mostly hold true to the things that you believe and don't ever be afraid to voice your opinion.

Good Night, and Good Luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home