Thursday, August 17, 2006

Déjà Vu, All Over Again

Here’s a two-part story:

I sleep like a baby. Don’t dream too much – at least that I remember when I wake up. But I sleep like a man that is content. And I am. Which explains that, I guess!

But there are recurring dreams that I have. I have read books that talk about how most people have dreams that have common threads running through them. And there are even books that attempt to “interpret” dreams, but I don’t believe in that shit.

But of the two or three of these “common thread” dreams that I have, the one that pops up most (usually after eating a huge, rare, steak) is this:

I am in a school, a university setting but it looks like my high school. I am getting ready to graduate but I am missing an algebra class and I can’t remember where it is or if I have taken the test to pass. I spend my dream frantically looking for the class and each room I look in is the wrong one. I’m to embarrassed to ask anyone for help so I wander the halls until I wake up and have to pee.

This dream makes me sweat and toss and turn. I have no idea what it means because even thought it took lots of effort, I finally passed all my math classes in college, and did graduate in 1983 and it’s all over.

So anyway, that’s part one of my story.

Part two happened today.

My daughter started college today. She is working part time for me to make some pocket change since she’s now an “independent” woman living in an apartment and yesterday we discussed her schedule at school and when she could come to work.

You know, just detail talk to calm her down about all the changes going on in her life right now.

So this morning at 10am when she normally comes to work for me, in she walked and we had the following conversation:

Keith: “Kelly, what are you doing here”?
Kelly: “Coming to work, daddy”.
Keith: “Are your classes already over”?
Kelly: “School doesn’t start until Thursday”.
Keith: “It is Thursday”……..
Kelly: “No it’s not, it’s Wednesday”!
Keith: “No sweetie, I promise it’s Thursday”.
Kelly: “Oh shit” (starting to cry hysterically and runs out of the office)
Keith: Staring into space wondering what has just happened.
Keith: Going out and talking to his secretaries and making sure it was actually Thursday
Keith: It is confirmed that today is Thursday.
All: Hysterical laughter.
Keith Picks up the phone to call daughter to try to calm her down – still crying hysterically.

Anyway, she makes it to school. Misses her first two classes but realizes that the first day of college is all about nothing except the professors pontificating about their expectations.

I’m sure that these two things don’t have anything to do with each other – but it sure was a blast today. I’ll forever and day have something to talk about with my grandchildren every time their mom gets mad at them because this is a great story.

I think I’ll call it “The First Day of The Rest of My Life”.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Dream-uncertainty and insecurity

Daughter-bless her heart!

10:39 PM  
Blogger KK said...

I understand the traditional dream inturpretation doo-doo but since I'm the lease uncertain and insecure person I know, I'll be damned if I understand it.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home