Thursday, August 17, 2006

Lucky Ducky

It’s a troublesome world
All the people who’re in it
Are troubled with troubles
Almost every minute

Just tell yourself, Ducky
You’re really quite lucky
Some people are much more
Oh, ever so much more
Oh, muchly much-much more
Unluckier than you

Sorry for the Dr. Seuss-ism there, but I was thinking today. Pondering you might say, just how lucky I am.

I am truly blessed. Truly, truly, truly blessed.

My life is wonderful. I have a great job. I have great children. I have a great motorcycle. I have a great car. I have a great farm. I have a great house. I have a great dog. I have a great, great, great girl.

And I know I’m not alone. I know so many happy people that share the same blessings that I just mentioned (except for the motorcycle – not enough of those in the world). But still I see so many people who aren’t happy because they always want what someone else has.

That is a problem that I’m sure goes back to the beginning of time. The bible is full of those stories of those who covet other’s stuff.

Oh, I wish I could be like him/her. If only I had what they have then I could be happy.

If, if, if………….

But you know what? Those things will never make you happy until you become happy with yourself.

There are a thousand and twelve things that I want to improve about myself – just as I am sure you have thought of for yourself by now. But we’re too lazy to get up at 5 and go to the gym, or take an hour to run around the track.

And yet those things don’t define who we are. We define who we are – not our stuff or even what we do. And it all has to do with us living up to the potential we see in ourselves.

Nothing magical here.

So if you are unhappy with yourself, all you need to do is to improve what it is you don’t like and realize that all change takes time and EFFORT. Nothing is free. The best things in life take so much patience.

My favorite analogy in this area is dieting. We’re all familiar with dieting, aren’t we? How many times have we started a diet, gone 10 days and then fell off the wagon with a mad night of beer and bbq ribs? And then what happens? We tell ourselves that we “blew it” and just stop.

When in reality, all we needed to do was to start again.

It’s that shred of doubt that eats at us and tells us that we can’t do something. I don’t know if that is born inside of us or if life just beats us until we think we can’t be successful at something.

But whatever it is – just say NO to doubt and YES to yourself.

You are truly your own master and even though life may throw you all kinds of curves, you are more than equipped to deal with them.

So today, I beg you to love yourself. Look at your blessings and expound upon them. Pick up the phone and call your mother. Do that one thing that you have wanted to do for years and just see how it feels.

There are lots of unlucky people in the world. You just don’t have to get in line with them!

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Amen, brother! I couldn't agree more.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home