Friday, August 11, 2006

It's Life and Life Only

Life is temporary? Death is just the beginning? The great beyond beckons for all of us???

Life, Death, Resurrection, Reincarnation…………

How much of human history has been spent pondering all of these great thoughts?

And luckily for you, I’m not going to expound on this today…….

But I did scare ya, didn’t I?

Nope, I was thinking about life and how it hits you so hard at times. My girl’s father is still in the hospital with the west nile virus thing. He is out of ICU and back in a room where he has moment of lucidity, which is wonderful.

But this entire episode has brought me back to 1995 when my own father died. And how sad that was. He was not ready to go. His life had been very unfulfilled and he desperately wanted more of it so he could make it right.

He had so much pride and dignity and at the end he was reduced to wishing things had been differently. So much for the value of pride and dignity………..

And I guess that is the lesson that has stuck with me for the last 10 years and the motivating factor for who I am and how I have chosen to live my life.

I made my peace with my father before he left. I said all I needed to say and lived my life in a manner that did not make me have any regrets. Now don’t get me wrong, I wish he were still here. I miss so much our talks about “stuff” and I miss his presence in my life.
But he truly died miserable because he had not fulfilled his own expectations of himself.

So as I root around in this world I truly try to live as if today is the last day I have. I try to always say what I mean, and when I love someone, I will take all the time I need in order to do the things that make them and me happy. I no longer take the selfish attitude that used to be so prevalent in my life. I give. And I find in the giving that I am rewarded beyond my wildest expectations.

I have faced the possibility in the last week of what would happen if my girl’s father died. How would she feel? How could I help her through that?

Thankfully, I don’t think that will happen now – but it will happen one day. And because of my experiences in that area, and because I love her, I want to help her. I want to take her hand and remind her that once someone is gone, all you have is memories of them and if you need to say something, there is never a better time than right now.

Just don’t wait another day.

We hold things back. We always do. We love people but have a very hard time telling them. There is so much life that just slips by because we don’t want to be inconvenienced or we’re tired or we have other things to do.

Yes, life is full. But for my money, I am going to take the time to tell the people most important to me that I love them. But more than that, I am going to show them. Every day if I can.

Which reminds me that my father’s two brothers that live 50 miles from me don’t get to see nearly enough of me and I am depriving myself of something precious by not taking the time to go see them more often.

Maybe I’ll do that soon.

But either way, life is about relationships and there are none more precious than those with the people we love.

I’m reflective today. I am alive. I am in love. I am happy. I am mindful. I am,

Eternally yours………………….

2 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I read about half of your post and had to stop (I'll read it later, when I'm not at work). My beloved father passed away a year ago next week, and I still feel such loss and pain. I'm lucky to have had such a wonderful father, and there's a huge hole in my life without him.

Anyway, as usual, your post was wonderful and reflective and thoughtful ... and I'll finish reading it when I can cry. I'm glad GOMD has you around as she goes through this.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I wish certain other people in my life would 'get it' as you do. Every day is a gift.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home